PDA

View Full Version : What Aircraft is this???

AllInGoodTime
12th Jun 2005, 09:33
Greetings

Just saw an aircraft fly over sydney, tracking for downwind runway 34 R, and as it flew over it seemed to have its landing lights on, the strange thing is that they seemed to be flashing alternatively. It was still quite high, and it is dark now so could not make out the shape or hear the aircraft. Are then any Jets that have the landing lights that flash like that or would it be a turbo prop.

cheers

Condensation
12th Jun 2005, 09:57
Most likely one of the QantasLink Dash 8s, Qantas also have the lights installed on some of their 737s.

404 Titan
12th Jun 2005, 10:08
Many moons ago I was traveling in the good old US of A on a 737-300 belonging to USAir and I noticed the landing lights doing the same thing. Must admit though I have never seen it on an Aus registered 737 but I could be wrong.

OpsNormal
12th Jun 2005, 12:08
Used to be able to do that with one of Bill Whitworth's Duchess's. Can't remember if it is the one still flying....

Also saw a Lear doing the same thing down the lane into BK 7-8 years ago. I guess the idea is that a steady light is not as visible as an alternating/flashing one.

OpsN.;)

AllInGoodTime
12th Jun 2005, 12:14
Thanks for the responses, does anyone know if they become fixed instead of flashing lights just before you touch down, or do they stay flashing.

Mr.Buzzy
12th Jun 2005, 12:19
I'd like to know how the pilot not flying manages to time the pulses so well, especially when selecting gear, flap and talking on the radio.

bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

triadic
12th Jun 2005, 12:24
The purpose of the flashing lights is to minimise the chance of a bird strike. Also of some help to ATC. Some of the Dash 8's have been fitted for some time and some of the QF 737's are being fitted progressivly. It is all part of a trial to see if strikes are reduced as a result, comparing those in the fleet with the flashing lights against those that don't. The lights may be selected to on or flash as required. It is nothing new having been around for some years. Some of the former RAAF CT4's also had the mod. Strangly it also extends the life of the lights.
:cool:

tipsy
12th Jun 2005, 14:51
I saw a police car with headlights that did the same thing. I guess any low flying birds had better watch out:ok:

tipsy
:yuk: :yuk: furball:yuk: :yuk:

Woomera
12th Jun 2005, 23:11
Tipsy, you keep away from roads or you'll end up a road rissole!

:E

twenty eight
13th Jun 2005, 10:21
A QF 734 was doing this trick just yesterday landing at Perth.

Ozgrade3
13th Jun 2005, 11:38
Bill Whitworth has had his Duchess JWW fitted with pulselights for quite a few years now. I dont know anything about birstrike reduction from them but they sure make aircraft that are fitted with them much easier to visually acquire. I used to use them all the time.

Founf a website www.pulselite.com has everything u want to know.

Kickatinalong
14th Jun 2005, 11:35
I think it's Airservices Aircraft doing checks on the ILS and GPS approaches.
Kickatinalong

18th Jun 2005, 03:35
My flash new aircraft has three positions on the landing lights Off, Pulse and On.

We use Pulse during the day and On at night.
:ok: