PDA

View Full Version : Alice Springs

Feldman
11th Jun 2005, 07:33
Howizit everyone?
It's time to pack the FORD!
Was hoping to find out names of charter companies in Alice and the surrounds. Have limited IFR twin experience and keen for a change of scenery. Will travel anywhere come to think of it.
Any info would be great. Thanks

jarjar
11th Jun 2005, 09:03
WHY ?

My advice is to keep driving, to Darwin, Kununurra, Broome etc.
You said that you have little multi ifr time, and you wont get much more here. Not flying pistons anyway. Sorry to be so negative

Good luck with it all

Feldman
11th Jun 2005, 09:29
Thanks jarjar,
Amongst the other 300 guys doing that (Darwin, Broome- no twins worth talking bout in KNX) Alice must have some piston twin opportunities!
Are you one of those hanging round? That would explain it.
Just Alice curious...

OpsNormal
11th Jun 2005, 10:01
I cannot understand why someone would take the time to be negative, yet not even attempt to answer the question fully.....

Alice has a few multi piston operators... and it was good to me.

Basically: Chartair (C402, Pa31, Barons), Direct Air (move the fleet around a bit but usually Pa31, C402 and a six seat twin), NAC (move their fleet around also but Pa31, C310 and/or baron etc) and Murray Cosson (C340).

It also has Pearl (Metro and Kingair), Aboriginal Air (Caravans and C210) and the NT Police Air wing (PC12) and a couple of airflappenwing operators.

I wouldn't write-off KU, it isn't all VFR P68 flying. Try Slingair with their freshly re-minted CP (Onya B... :} )- C310, Pa31 etc.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Not much hard IFR, but when wx gets low it is very low.

OpsN. ;)

jarjar
11th Jun 2005, 12:20
I admit there are a larger proportion of twins to singles in Alice, and if you happen to get here when there is some movement it can be beneficial. I still do a reasonable amount of IF time both single pilot and multi-crew. Our cruise levels are generally right in the middle of it(when there is weather). Im probably bitter and twisted for being here too long, sorry for the previous negativity.
If you are genuinely interested in Alice send me a PM and I can introduce you to a few people.

;)

Continental-520
11th Jun 2005, 12:31
If you're set on heading to Alice, then go for it.

If you want to try your luck within WA first, you may find a win at Karratha or Port Hedland, more so than KNX, BRM, etc.

I can understand the need for a change of scenery, though.

Good luck.

Feldman
12th Jun 2005, 02:03
Appreciate the help! Thanks
Karratha has Aus West and Port Hedland - Golden Eagle? Is that basically it, for those two areas?

Continental-520
12th Jun 2005, 03:54
Yep, largely.

Although you may want to give Polar Aviation a shot, bear in mind they are under the CASA eye at the moment though, and even Karratha Flying Services while you're there.

Tropicair Carnarvon also have a Karratha base, but it's all handled from Carnarvon.

Good luck.

Chocks Away
13th Jun 2005, 08:32
Been around Australia alot lately.
Can recommend Broome, or WA for that matter... the state is just booming.
Happy hunting and stick with it.:ok:

Condensation
13th Jun 2005, 09:42
Sorry for going off topic but does your nationality affect your chances of getting a job in GA?

Thanks!

Continental-520
13th Jun 2005, 12:41
As strange as it may seem, I have found that people are less interested in 'foreigners' than in aussies, although I've been lucky enough in most cases that once they get over the weirdness of your name (if it is unusual) they realise you're just as aussie as everyone else. If you are, of course.

Except in one instance where I was told that "I might have better luck in the country I came from".... to which my reply was "Yeah? And which country would that be, actually?" The phone conveniently rang so as to prevent embarrassment on their behalf. For the most part though, people are accepting. After all, this is Australia.

multime
14th Jun 2005, 01:34
yes its true. As an expat kiwi i found things very difficult with some operators over the years. However 9yrs has past and i,m not fush and chupping with mulk anymore.!!
ps- alice great town.
oportunity yes!:ok:
Cheers
Multi :ok:

Condensation
14th Jun 2005, 05:18
Thanks! multime, please check your PMs.

tinpis
4th Jul 2005, 03:20
Just for the record how did this saga pan out?

:hmm:

Continental-520
4th Jul 2005, 11:51
Lettuce know how you went, Feldman. It's always good to hear of people getting ahead in their forays into GA. And if you haven't quite struck gold yet, keep digging, cause you will.

Hope it's going well for you.

tinpis
11th Aug 2005, 02:13
If you have any training in crowd control or martial arts you may consider giving a hand to the poor brave bugger about to open a Red Rooster store in Tennant Creek.

:}

Feldman
11th Aug 2005, 07:33
For those interested, havn't made it to Alice yet but am still very interested. Havn't found and twin work yet but continue to meet numerous Cp's up North and North Eastern Australia. If anyone knows of anything in the pipeline whether NE Australia or preferably Alice would be greatly appreciated. Happy travels! Feldman