PDA

View Full Version : FAA/JAA Atpl

MAX.BARTO
10th Jun 2005, 16:22
Hi there,
anybody got informations on any agreement between FAA and JAA about Licence conversion?

Thank you

BigGrecian
10th Jun 2005, 16:35
Your question is vague - however title suggests the ATPLs so I'll try to cover most areas.

However if it is regarding PPL privileges in the US with a JAA PPL have a look at the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=87&groupid=612) website.

If it is concerning FAA > JAA conversions, I believe it's training as required - a check of LASORS will probably proivide the information you need.

Send Clowns has written in a thread which is on the first page :
The original JARs did not contain any method of conversion of licences. This was clearly ridiculous, because experienced pilots having worked in the USA or internationally on an ICAO licence had to do the same 55 (or 50) hour course as people who had never flown under IFRs. So for the benefit of such pilots, experienced in IFR flight the 15-hour abridged course was determined as a minimum conversion.
It was never intended as a conversion for people who had trained for an IR elsewhere but never used the rating, never flown instrument sectors on a regular basis. Thus the course is highly unlikely to be a minimum if you do this. I know people who have ended up spending more in total than they would have done in a whole UK course, including one who while a European national had been instructing stateside, using FAA CPL/IR but still decided to book the entire 50-hour course.

I suggest you use the search function next time!

With regards to ATPL theory I believe this has to be done in full - have fun!:D