PDA

View Full Version : SA Flight Schools

Dave Young
10th Jun 2005, 11:56
Dear all,

Could you please help me identify the cheapest and best school to get my PPL in South Africa, preferably in the Cape Town area.

Thanks.

wheels up
10th Jun 2005, 17:23
Check out this site: www.uksa.flyer.co.uk

Bare in mind that it is winter in SA now meaning that most of the coastal areas are affected by frontal systems whereas most of the interior will be dry. If you are on a tight time scale this is a factor worth considering as the Western Cape is in their rainy season.

Algoa Flying Club in Port Elizabeth gets a lot of good press and as far as I know their rates are reasonable. Have no experience of them personally, though.

birdlady
11th Jun 2005, 14:05
Yep, I have to agree with wheels up - Cape Town is not a good place to be at this time of year for flying. Try the highveld, Johannesburg Pretoria area. Clear skies this time of year. You might find this a bit more informative www.avcom.co.za
SA is a great place to train and its cheaper than the States.....
:ok: :ok: :ok:

Leezyjet
11th Jun 2005, 23:15
I have just recently passed my PPL at Algoa.

Due to a miscalculation of my leave, it meant I only had 24 days in which to complete my PPL from scratch - and I had to make a trip back to the UK in the middle of my training.

Well all the staff at Algoa rose to the challenge, and I passed. Not just in 24 days, but in 19 !!!. I had 15 flying days and 4 groundschool days, passed in 42 hours total. It was hard going though doing all the flying and ground school in such a short time, but it did allow for a bit of a social life too and even a few day trips on non flying days.

I couldn't really fault them and would recommend them to anyone. the weather at P.E. is very similar to what one would see in the UK in summer and also the advantage of training at a commercial airport gets you used to flying with the big boys right from day 1, but it is not too busy that you have to hold for ages as can happen at CPT.

The only thing that I did notice is that it can seem a little disorganised at times, but that is more due to last minute re arrangement of the flying slots to ensure that everyone gets enough time in to pass by their own personal deadlines and also because of the weather too - it does change quite rapidly. Although I guess that most other flying schools are like this tho.

The instructors are all great and will go the extra mile to ensure that you pass - coming in early and staying late - but you have to show willing and put in the effort too.

The social life is good too, and the bar is open every night once flying has finished, and the local night life isn't too bad with there being a large university in town too.

www.algoafc.co.za is their website.

I will hopefully be going back later in the year to hour build and do a night rating.

:cool:

moodywolf
12th Jun 2005, 19:06
Hi Dave

I have to agree with the other replies, this time of year jo-burg will have fantastic weather.

Having just spent 7 weeks at lanseria with a mate hiring 172's,182's for hour building, all i can say regarding the area and the school I was hiring from is that I can't wait to go back.

Excellent training if required, great aircraft availability and facilities.

Pm me if you would like any info on where to hire or ppl validation requirements.

Moodywolf.