PDA

View Full Version : Re-using N Numbers

Lindstrim
10th Jun 2005, 05:05
Just wondering why do certain companies (ie Boeing) reuse N numbers? Was looking at the 777-240/LR and the tail number is the same as a 747-400 that was built for Qantas?

Lindstrim

GlueBall
10th Jun 2005, 09:03
Once any "N" number is "de-registerd" [taken off the register] it becomes available for registration again.

This applies not just to "N" registrations, but to other countries as well. For example, a previous Lufty registerd B-720B "D-ABOH" today applies to an A320.

JustAnotherVictim
10th Jun 2005, 19:12
FYI, it doesn't apply to UK registrations.

Regards

JAV

ETOPS
10th Jun 2005, 20:21
Er not entirely certain thats true. Calling all spotters:D Any examples of UK registrations issued more than once :hmm:

Mark Lewis
10th Jun 2005, 20:38
I believe it happened once with a Readymix HS125? Cant find the info atm though, as I thought it was G-XRMC.

SilentHandover
12th Jun 2005, 10:23
G-XRMC now reregistered as G-BZNR.

Harrier46
12th Jun 2005, 10:41
JCB had at least two different 125-600s registered G-BJCB (not both at the same time of course).

barit1
13th Jun 2005, 03:00
Most manufacturers in the US have a "fleetwide" N-number that may be applied to all their aircraft involved in pre-delivery testing. This number is applied temporarily and is usually NOT used for ATC purposes - instead the Mfr's name and test number is usually used.

Owners / operators often re-use numbers too; after removing a desired number from one plane they can re-apply it to another ship. It's been done a thousand times or more.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Jun 2005, 19:59
FYI, it doesn't apply to UK registrations. What about G-BOAC?

Do I get a prize?

treadigraph
15th Jun 2005, 07:02
Wooden Spoon mate, G-BOAC was used just the once by something that went quite fast...

G-BJCB was definitely used twice, both HS.125-600s.

If a UK registration was "Not Taken Up" for some reason it's possible to re-use it - look up G-AKUG on G-INFO, it was originally an Avro Tudor, and re-assigned in 1990 to a Luscombe as a period registration. I don't know why the Tudor didn't take up its reg. There are a few like that.

I always feel that Doug Arnold's frustrated Orstralian imports G-MUST and G-SMIT should be deserving of re-issue to suitable airframes... but maybe there's a good reason why not.