PDA

View Full Version : ATPL - from frozen to defrosting it

blueloo
10th Jun 2005, 03:10
Gday, does anyone know whats required to defrost a frozen ATPL?

(ie flying hours required, and paperwork involved?)

cheers

Wing Root
10th Jun 2005, 03:58
BlueLoo,
Australian Fixed Wing ATPL Checklist (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form747.pdf)
Any other information is available on CASA's Website (http://www.casa.gov.au)

As far as paperwork required that would probably invove a chat with your local CASA area office. (http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/areas.htm)

If you are not talking about an Australian ATPL ignore all of the above. :ok:

swh
10th Jun 2005, 04:32
Also need to fill out Form 196 Application for Air Transport Pilot Licence - Aeroplane/Helicopter (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form196.pdf)

:ok:

blueloo
10th Jun 2005, 14:20
Thanks all ! :D

Time Bomb Ted
11th Jun 2005, 01:12
What makes the "Frozen ATPL" funny is that it does not exist. You either have an ATPL or you don't. You may have passed the theory exams, but that is a long way from holding an ATPL.

I believe the "Frozen ATPL" was made up by flying schools to push the Airline Training thing in the advertising way back.

It is like saying I have a "Frozen CIR" because I passed the IREX years ago but have not finished the flying training.

The ATPL is just an hours thing for the time being, until the regs change and you will have to do a flight test as well. Now that should make things interesting...

TBT

CaptainToBe
11th Jun 2005, 08:52
any idea when the flight test requirement is going to become a reality?

Continental-520
11th Jun 2005, 12:25
Last I heard it was planned to take effect sometime in 2007. I'm hoping it won't be any earlier.

blueloo
11th Jun 2005, 13:39
better get my form in quick smart....

Transition Layer
15th Jun 2005, 08:38
Anyone got a spare 3.1hrs IF to throw my way? Yes, i'm that bloody close!!!
:mad:
TL

Boomerang
17th Jun 2005, 11:34
TBT, I believe it's a European thing. There your ATPL exam credits expire unless you hold a CPL and IR. That "freezes" your exam credits as far as I understand it, but as far as Aus goes...

Tinstaafl
18th Jun 2005, 20:41
A bit more to it than that. Under UK flight time logging rules, a person can be employed straight from training - as an FO on a multi-pilot type - and be able to accumulate the necessary type(s) of loggable hours to allow the issue of an ATPL in due course. In other words, as long as you keep passing the various line & base checks then eventually you *will* end up with an ATPL if you choose to fill out the application form.

In Oz that's not the case. If you get employed as an FO straight from training onto a multi-pilot aircraft then you will never accumulate the PIC time - as part of your job - needed to get issued an Oz ATPL, no matter how many years you're employed. It would be more correct to say the person concerned has a 'Frozen CPL'....

Unless the rules have, or get, changed.

swh
19th Jun 2005, 03:31
Tinstaafl,

Not 100% true ... in Oz you only required to have 100 hrs PIC for an ATPL, the rest can be ICUS.

QF cadet scheme sends them loose with the 100+ PIC, so they meet this requirment.

:ok:

flightleader
19th Jun 2005, 09:05
Anyone have a good recommendation for books for the purpose of studying for ATPL Airlaw(AALW)?

CaptainToBe
20th Jun 2005, 08:19
flightleader, i would suggest you get the gavin secombe course by correspondence

www.atpl.com.au

you will come out with a good understanding of the subject if you put the effort in. best of luck

Tinstaafl
20th Jun 2005, 15:38
G'day swh

Even though that's the case for the QF scheme, that's not the same for most other 150hr CPL courses - including the Ansett one of some years ago. End result: A frozen CPL for those who go straight into an FO job.

At least QF recognised the limitation.

NB: Historically the situation was even worse in the days when 400hr command was the requirement (with some proportion allowed as ICUS but the needed PIC component was still greater)