PDA

View Full Version : Need all A's to be a pilot?

BMI701EGCC
9th Jun 2005, 15:57
Evening,

my strongest sujects are math , physics and geography, i am capable of all A, B.'s if i put my head down, but i fear that you'll need all A's to be a airline pilot, i know its maths intensive, im prepared for that but i just fear ill nedd to have clean A's if you know what i mean.

I hope you guys can shed me some light on the educational requirements,

Thanks alot,
BMI701EGCC

G-SP0T
9th Jun 2005, 16:01
Are we talking A level or GCSE??

In either case I would say it doesnt matter, good ATPL results (85%+) seem to be more important.

But since your sitting the exams anyway, why not go for the best you can get??!!

:ok:

carbheatout
9th Jun 2005, 16:02
If you're going for sponsorship it may help, otherwise its not really important. I wouldn't work your way into a frenzy over it.

BMI701EGCC
9th Jun 2005, 16:07
thanks for the replies i talking in terms of A-levels, so its really just a case of working hard with the ATPL and get convincing A-level results....

Thanks

BMI701EGCC

cortilla
9th Jun 2005, 16:53
It really depends on who you are. but i know some pilots who have firsts from very good uni's, and others who only have 5c's at gcse's

Farrell
9th Jun 2005, 19:52
I'm as thick as two planks nailed together and even I can do this job!

But take my learned friend's advice and go for the best that you can get in your exams.....you need all the ammunition you can get in this business, and you just never know when you'll need your A levels!

Best of luck to you! :ok:

BMI701EGCC
10th Jun 2005, 17:58
Thanks for the kind words guys, its much appriciated.

BMI701EGCC

BigGrecian
10th Jun 2005, 18:10
I'm as thick as two planks nailed together and even I can do this job!

Debatable

Farrell
10th Jun 2005, 20:54
Oh the vague Matty strikes again.......

How's Leighton doing mate? And are you still showering with Claffey? :E

ikea
10th Jun 2005, 21:37
i sure hope not! otherwise im out! i for 12 UCAS point (twice the natioanla average) which im pleased with (ABC). BA require 2 UCAS points in the form of (CC) at A-level.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jun 2005, 22:52
We engineers are supposed to be the clever ones, and not many of us were straight A students (I certainly wasn't).

As for pilots, a basic ability to read and write is a big bonus, joined up writing is definitely optional. Good maths and arithmetic, to at-least grade-B GCSE standard will definitely help a lot.

After that, it's a combination of attitude, aptitude, and a capacity for hard work.

Frankly whether you want to be an Engineer, a Pilot, or even both - the last is what really counts.

G

Send Clowns
11th Jun 2005, 08:35
For the exams: GCSE maths and physics/double science would be good, at a decent grade, but by no means essential. Have had good students who left school 20-odd years ago with no qualifications or ahandful of O-levels or CSEs. One student I knew with good results in ATPLs struggled with GCSE Maths and Physics on the resits! Didn't stop him getting first-time passes, even in Nav, the most mathematical subject (although that could be down to my instruction :O ).

Even for sponsorship I doubt an A would help more than a B, unless you are competing with a condidate of almost identical regard from the interviewers!

i.e. Don't worry!

Johnny F@rt Pants
13th Jun 2005, 12:45
'A' level's, I haven't got any of those, 'O' levels, I got five of those, none anywhere near to A grade. Math's was one of my worst subjects, and I'm still weak with mental arithmetic. I'm a B737 Captain now, so I don't think that your school grades are too important, as long as you've got some passes under your belt. It's down to your Commercial Pilot exams when it comes to getting your licence, and then whether you're the right type of person whether you get the all important job at the end of it all.

sinkingship
13th Jun 2005, 16:50
i think as long you can PASS exams you will be fine, one thing you will come to learn in aviation is what you learn in ground school you will probably never use again!

Number Cruncher
13th Jun 2005, 18:19
Sinkingship

Myself coming to the end of the exams, i wouldn't agree with you 100%, but i do agree that a lot of the stuff is absolutely pointless!!!! Instruments could have been so much more relevant..............

Anyway, as long as you can do the ATPL's, i doubt the airlines will give a hoot about too much else. After all, a majority don't even care about the number of attempts you took nor the marks you got in the ATPL's!!

A and C
14th Jun 2005, 15:47
Sitting in the at the sharp end the other night over the bay of biscay and chatting to the FO we discovered that betwwen us we did not have the CGSE's to be a junior cabin crew member.

However Genghis the engineer is correct ........hard work is what this game about is about .......... you have to want it enough to make it happen.

skywaytoheaven
14th Jun 2005, 18:38
Don't think I've ever met a pilot with straight A's, I remember that myth at school though, and what was the other thing I was told - oh yeah, you have to be atleast 6"2!

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2005, 21:00
... with a public school accent and the ability to grow a particularly impressive moustache. :D

G

Short, moustacheless, didn't go to public school, with a good but not stunning set of O and A-levels; oh yes and a little later on a doctorate and test pilots qualification - mostly through sheer bloodyminded determination.