PDA

View Full Version : Is Oxford IR pass rate better than everyelse?

Mooneyboy
9th Jun 2005, 13:53
I am looking to do my IR hopefully in the Autumn time and I was intially going to do it with Oxford modular. However I have recently heard rumours that the IR pass rate is just 30% for first time passes.

Is this accurate as a failure of the IR would be expensive. I know a lot is obviously up to the individual but if this pass rate is true then why would it be so low and could anyone give advice on any where else to do it.

Any replies much appreciated.

Mooneyboy.

FBOZH
9th Jun 2005, 14:11
Do yourself a favour. Visit Triple A Flying at Humberside Airport. Yes it is in lincolnshire and yes you will freeze your bol... in the autumn but mike who you will be flying with is the best instructor >I ever came across. I passed first time in minimum hours thanks to him as a lot of other guys did. Ask the CAA for reference if you wish and if they will give you any, I know he has a very good reputation with them.

adwjenk
9th Jun 2005, 15:36
Hi

Im thinking about doing the APP at OAT, and well what are there IR pass rates like for first time passes?

Just be intresting to know

Andy

jb5000
9th Jun 2005, 17:32
Somewhere in the region of 55-60 percent I think, worth posting on oxfords forum though, as they generally are quite good at responding honestly to questions.

James

URL is www.oxfordaviation.net

moggiee
9th Jun 2005, 21:20
Mooneyboy - Oxford's pass rate is average. If the location suits you then fine but I would stay away if you plan to go modular, you will get the "leper" treatment if you are not integrated.

There are plenty of other places with equal or better pass rates who treat their modular students with the respect they deserve.

Where are you based now and do you want to stay local?

National first time pass rate is about 30-35% and first series pass rate (partial plus retake) is about 60%. Oxford are pretty much in line with this.

Lee Frost
9th Jun 2005, 22:40
Why goto Oxford?

Have a look into:

Airways @ Exeter - very high pass rates.
Flightpass also @ Exeter (eh, Brigette ;)
Atlantic @ Coventry
Bristol
Aeros @ Glos.

Triple A got a hammering on this forum a while ago, but it may have been the usual pprune bullshict at work....do a search.

Hope this helps

LF

FBOZH
10th Jun 2005, 09:22
What sort of hammering are you thinking of? I haven't ever met anybody unhappy about the school or the instructors. Best thing to do for any wanabee is to pay several schools a visit, ask for a ride in the back seat during an actual session and see how you are treated. It'll give you a much better idea of what you will get than all the posts on pprune

Lee Frost
10th Jun 2005, 10:06
FBOZH - do a search if you are wondering. Please note the comment that pprune postings may not always be reliable...

Glad to hear your own experience was good.

Flying Fortunes
10th Jun 2005, 11:46
I did my ME IR training at BFC last year, leading to a first time pass and could not rate them higher.

The standard of instruction was first rate, from each of the 4 or 5 instructors I ended up flying with in the sim or A/C.

Regarding pass rates, I don't know how they rate against the average but believe 1st time and 1st series passes are good. If you give them a call, sure they will oblige in telling you. The figures for the past six months were always posted on the notice board when I was there.

Very proffessional outfit, and if you're a good boy/girl you might even get a RHS ride in the King Air! :D

FF

Mooneyboy
10th Jun 2005, 13:50
I have just done the ATPL ground exams there and yes I thought their groundschool was good and most instructors were all very willing to help. They also seem a professional setup. Its just when your talking to IR students its seems every other student seems to have failed the IR and you start to wonder if this is the average for most schools. I probaly will post something on their forum to find out there IR pass rate but would this reflect the modular or intergrated sudents?

I heard good things of aeros in Glouster but also does anyone know which flight school might have the highest IR pass rate and whats Jerez like?

Thanks for all replies.

Mooneyboy.

stuart youngs
10th Jun 2005, 17:41
Hi ya Mooney,

Speaking to all the south coast IR training providers and wolves. They all tell me the same information, give or take a few %. Basically 40 - 50% first time pass rate. and 80 -90% 2nd time. This was the same for 2 of the spanish IR , but I didn't ask FTE. I see you are from shrewsbury , I am just up the road from you. Do you fly at Sleap?

Stu:D

Mooneyboy
12th Jun 2005, 09:38
Hi Stu

I started off doing my PPL in Welshpool with old Pool avaiton before the boss gutted the place and left. So after I went to finish the license with Sleap which took some time due to bad weather and other things. Now I mostly fly out of Welshpool which I prefer.

I am getting the sense that these percentage first time pass rates seem to be the norm so will just have to except its going to be tough no matter what school to use.

Cosford Airshow today Eurofighter should be there, should be good.

Mooneyboy

silverknapper
13th Jun 2005, 14:15
As people will say, yes a pass rate is one thing to consider. But it's not truly reflective of a school. So many other variables come into play; weather, ability, exam nerves etc. It is such a hard test with so many limits that anyone can be prone to a mistake.
The schools mentioned above all have good reputations - although I too have heard negative things about triple A, and not just here. But any one of Airways, Aeros, Bristol, Flightpass, PAT will do you proud. ( notice the alphabetical listing!).
I personally would avoid Oxford. You will be so far down their list of priorities. Do a search on the subject of modular guys at Oxford.

African Drunk
20th Jun 2005, 16:00
I believe airways has highest pass rate but with them having sowed up the ex military pilots it might not be truly reflective.