PDA

View Full Version : USAF Thunderbirds unveil new mounts

Ian Corrigible
9th Jun 2005, 04:37
Sign of the times?

This one’s been doing the rounds in DC; kudos to its ‘Photoshopping’ creator.

http://turboshaft.com/db2/00189/turboshaft.com/_uimages/MQ-9Thunderbirds.jpg

:E

I/C

Thud_and_Blunder
10th Jun 2005, 08:04
I can see a future candidate for the Caption Competition here...

Huron Topp
10th Jun 2005, 12:20
Definately ruin the atmosphere in the beer tents.

TheOddOne
10th Jun 2005, 17:18
Why doesn't the greatest aviation nation in the world and the best-equipped Air Force and Navy boast a 9-ship premier aerobatic team? Surely if us lowly European types can have 3, yes, 3 nations with fine 9-ship jet formation teams (Red Arrows, Frecce Tricolore & the Patuille de France), what's wrong with military aviation in the States??? I've seen the Thunderbirds - like, boring, man!

Cheers

The Odd One

PT6ER
10th Jun 2005, 19:18
Although I normally stand up for my adopted country in this typically "Yank Bashing" arena, I can't agree more on the 9 ship formation.

The Arrows and the Patroulles de France (apologies for the spelling) are much more "dynamic" to watch since (in the times I've seen the Blues or T'Birds ) they change formation away from the crowd and flypast in the set formation - pretty bloody close to each other and I am definately NOT running them down...it is just different I suppose.

Never did get the drill team type of strapping in but there you go..

Anyone out there willing to compare the Canadian team since I have been told they are pretty good to watch?

SASless
10th Jun 2005, 20:31
Sorryo boys...but we don't put the whole air force on display at one time. Standardization is everything you know.....that or the only the leader knows what is going on.....and the others just follow his lead.

I have seen all the teams....they all put on a good show....the T-Birds do lack a bit of pzzazz unlike the Blue Angels who always put on a more dynamic show than the T-Birds. I found the Italian team to put on a very good show.....and if the Red Arrows had the Phantom.....Holly Moses that would be the show to see. In the days when the Blue Angels flew the F-4.....that was a real show.

TheOddOne
10th Jun 2005, 21:08
Yep, seen the Snowbirds a few times, they fly a 9-ship in vintage, rather low-powered a/c but still put on an exciting, tight formation show.

If you want to see for yourself, why not cross the border & go to the Abbotsford Airshow around the 12th August? Usually a great show, worth travelling for.

The big thing about 9-ship is that it gives great opportunity for breaking down to a 7-ship or 5-ship and for the remaining team members to do opposition stuff. This gives great variety to the show, is much more dynamic and exciting, adding tension to the show. Last time I saw the Thunderbirds they just flew a series of fly-bys in different formation - REALLY close, very skilful but hardly a crowdpleaser. Of course the commentator hammed it up and hopefully for the US domestic market no doubt did the patriotic stirrings thing it was intended to do. However, from someone who has seen more of the world, it was out of whack with what I felt a great nation ought to be able to produce.

Maybe the top brass in the USAF simply have no interest in making more of this resource or perhaps the inevitable tragic accidents in the past colour their views. All teams have their dark moments that they have to get over and if it's managed right they should emerge all the stronger for it.

Another issue might be the choice of aircraft. The natural inclination might be to choose a current front-line aircraft, hence the F16 but the T38 Talon might well be more suitable for 9-ship aerobatics. The European 9-ship teams all use training aircraft, not top front-line machinery. Why not start with a 5 or 7-ship T6A team?

Cheers,
The Odd One

Magoodotcom
10th Jun 2005, 22:03
Hmmm...Euro precision or Yank power! :rolleyes:

Personally, give me 5-6 Hornets or F-16s over 9 Hawks, MB339s, Alpha Jets anyday. :} The afterburners and transonic passes are major elements of their displays, and the precision of the euro teams just cannot compete with the raw energy of the US teams in my book - I guess it's just different horses...

Saw the Blue Angels for the first time at Miramar last October... absolutely awestruck!!!

Cheers

Magoo :ok:

SASless
10th Jun 2005, 22:07
Tragic episodes happen to teams that fly underpowered aircraft too....nature of the work....not the airframe.

Spotting Bad Guys
10th Jun 2005, 22:29
I was at the T-Birds' inaugural show for this season and I have to say it was a bit dull! The only real "wow" moment was the singleton 9G 360 in front of the crowd - the rest was as described above: very precise but lacking excitement. I'd say it was a good show but not a great one.

SBG

saudipc-9
14th Jun 2005, 17:37
When comparing the US teams and others we have to understand that there is an obvious difference in what folks want to see. For instance with the Snowbirds and the Blue Angels they both put on a great show but they are no where close to being the same. Sort of an apple and oranges situation. They are both fruits but look and taste quite different.
The Blues and T-Birds have a show more based on airpower where as the Snowbirds and other teams are more formation flying orientated. Personnaly I like them both but for different reasons.

SASless,
I think it has less to do with the power and more to do with the maneuvers being flown. The more airplanes then the more complicated the formations.

Cheers

Tourist
14th Jun 2005, 20:11
Wait till you see the RN Jetstream 4 ship display this summer!
Talk about airpower!
:ok:

BOAC
14th Jun 2005, 20:58
IC - as an ex No 2 I would say No 3 needs the computer tweaking to get into position:D :D

Ian Corrigible
14th Jun 2005, 21:49
There's always one armchair critic ! ;)

(And for those of you who might suggest that humans will always be better than machines, remember this sage quotation from Red Dwarf:

"I had this Geography teacher, Miss Foster. She took us on a school summer camp trip to the Ganwee. I had the tent next to hers, right. And in the middle of the night I was woken up by this really weird noise. She didn't think men were better than machines.")

:E

I/C

US Herk
20th Jun 2005, 02:49
The USAF should bring back the 4 Horsemen (aka Thunderweasels)! :ok:

SASless
20th Jun 2005, 03:25
I vote Aye!

:ok: :ok:

http://members.aol.com/SamC130/horsemen.html