PDA

View Full Version : Ground job opportunities at Melbourne Airport

geoffroygdl
8th Jun 2005, 17:29
Dear Aussies

It would be very nice if you could give me some informations that I really need but which are pretty hard to get!!!

I am 24 years old and I am passing a JAR theorical ATPL. I will normally have finished in September and then I will pass my CPl during six weeks.

I will then wait until May 2006 to pass an exam in France, If I got it, the rest of my training (IR and MCC) will be assumed by the government.

Between December and the end of April I would like to join some friends of mine in Melbourne and during this period, I would like to work. The main goal is to increase my english skills but it would be very nice for my future career if I could also get a ground experience.

So here are my questions:

Do you think that it is possible for non Australia Citizen to work in an handling company at Melbourne International Airport. I will have a working Holiday visa which will allow me to work maximum 3 months for the same company.

So first, will I have the right to work in the airport legally. I mean, isn't this sector to sensitive that these jobs could be closed to non Australia Citizens.

Secondly, Is it hard to get these kind of jobs in Australia. In France these job are pretty easy to get in the big handling companies such as Swissport. How is employment nowadays in this sector in Australia? Can I expect to find a job quickly or is it pretty closed.

I would be very happy to work close to the planes, as ramp agent, Loader or baggage Handler. I would like it very much to make headset pushback, and I know that in France it could be possible. But In Australia, I don't know!

Finally I found some companies, could you tell me if you know them, what do you think about them and eventually give me some other companies that you know. These companies are Aero-Care, Australian Airport Support, Express Ground Handling, Menzies Aviation and Wymap Group.

I know that I'm asking quite a lot, I would be very grateful if you could give me some answers or advices, even if you answer me on an unique question,
it will be very cool.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward enjoying a hot summer in Melbourne!!!

One last thing, notice that the guy who get me a job will thanked with a bottle of french Bordeaux or Champaign!!!

Geoffroy

The Voice
8th Jun 2005, 20:20
Geoffroy,

That's an admirable ambition, however, I think in the current climate in Australia your aim for 3 months as a ground handler may not be achievable.

The security side of things and the imminent changes to criminal history checks and the like may be too big a hurdle for you to overcome for 3 months employment.

Is there any chance of a company in France arranging a work exhange programme here for you? You may have a better chance of securing something that way.

Those jobs here are keenly contested, particularly in the major airlines.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I really think it may not be possible to do what you would like. I am very happy on the other hand to proven totally wrong!

TV

geoffroygdl
9th Jun 2005, 06:26
Hi The Voice

Thanks for your answer.

I am a bit deceived but not really surprised as I know that safety issue is taking more and more importance in the recrutment process of these kind of jobs.

I think that in France it could not be possible for a non EU citizen to be hired quickly and for a short period.

I'll try to contact by mail Handling companies, but I'm pretty pessimistic!!!

However the goal is to travel and speak english!

Thanks again for your answer!

Apophis
9th Jun 2005, 08:13
Let,s be real here it,s not going to happen and never was.

Ozgrade3
9th Jun 2005, 09:12
Geoffroygd,

If you have a valid visa ie, the visa that back packers get for a working holiday here in Australia then you are free to work where ever you wish. I would suggest you get a criminal background check done in your home contry now so you can present it to the Oz authorities when you come here. Apparently not being an Oz citizen is no impediment, as long as you are of good charicter. I recently worked with a Candaian guy in sydney who did just what you want to, and was even able to get an ASIC.

The harder part will be getting a company to put you on, knowing you will only be there for 3 months.

I dont know who does handling in Melbourne as I'm in Sydney. Try Aerocare (www.aerocare.com.au), they do some ramp handling in Melbourne.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Good Luck

Buster Hyman
9th Jun 2005, 11:27
The 2 main GHA's in MEL are Menzies & QANTAS. I don't think you'll get much of a run at QF, but I was wrong once before.

Look up MenziesAviation & get the address for the Ops Manager (Peter) & let him know what you're after. He's a straight up chap who'll set you straight & won't BS your hopes.

There are also a number of Bond stores if you're interested, besides QF & Menzies. Australian Air Express, Patricks & DHL have airside depots that might be worth a look. Then of course, you could try any Freight Forwarder & that's your best shot for mind.

I seriously doubt you'll get a gig on the headsets at the pushback tug. This job is predominantely done by LAME's.

Why not look up Avalon airport & see who's got the contract down there? It's a bit further out of MEL, but might be a goer.

Bon chance!:ok:

geoffroygdl
9th Jun 2005, 15:21
Thanks guys, that's very kind of you.

I'll make the criminal check in France, and if it is not to heavy I'll bring it with me in Australia :D :D

I'll also contact Peter to see what he thinks. It could be very cool to work for an handling company!

Thanks again

CU in a few months???