PDA

View Full Version : Manual sync with ipod?

roach
8th Jun 2005, 16:43
I bought my son a 4gb mini ipod and am trying to figure out how to manually transfer songs. The reason I don't want the auto sync is that I want to delete his music from the PC after his music has downloaded, rather than keep using hard disc space.
I would welcome any pointers
Thank you

roach
8th Jun 2005, 20:00
Thank you,
Using new version 4.8.0 and this does not have the ipod icon in the bottom of the screen.
Are there any problems with the manual sync method?
Edit>pref does not allow me to set manual without ipod connected and by then it is too late as the sync has already started

Devlin Carnet
9th Jun 2005, 08:46
You could get winamp and the ipod plug in..
www.winamp.com :ok:

flapsforty
10th Jun 2005, 08:03
roach, struggling with the same question, I stumbled upon the iPodLounge Forums. One of their Mods has written an excellent guide covering most probs and it claryfied a lot of stuff for me. :)
I did a bit of a search for you, and found her post.

excerpt:
4-Stopping the Automatic Synchronization

If you have no songs in iTunes and the only place you have a copy of your songs is on your iPod then:
a)connect the iPod to the computer
b) immediately press and hold the Shift + Alt + Ctrl keys (if on a Mac it's Command + Option)
c)hold these keys for about 3 seconds after the iPod appears in the source list pane before releasin

Here is the whole thing:

link (http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71349)

roach
10th Jun 2005, 08:47
Thank you, Flapsforty.
Should find time to read this info soon.
Hopefully it will ease the ranting of a 15yr old after his Dad has wiped 10 CDs off the PC and he only finds out after his ipod has synced to zero songs!!

flapsforty
10th Jun 2005, 08:59
You didn't!! :ooh:

Holy Cow Roach, you really need to earn some major brownie points with that child. Poor lad, after all the work he has put in. That stuff takes many hours.
Good luck. ;)