PDA

View Full Version : Herc K Fatigue

Filthy
8th Jun 2005, 14:41
It has come to pass that 3 of the mighty K fleet have been resticted in MTOW, MZFW, G Loading with & without Flap and speed of 190 max below 2000'agl, 165 if any turb felt at any time all due to fatigue.

The poor beasties can now go far afield empty, or go to Waddington with a load but only very slowly!!!!!!!!!

What is the RAF playing at?

Latest rumour is that the Wings from the blighted Mk5 J models are to be transferred onto the K's - Likely?!:uhoh:

Wappy Tupper
8th Jun 2005, 15:13
Oh, the irony!

Laugh, I nearly bought a round!! :=

16 blades
8th Jun 2005, 15:47
Re-winging has been talked about for a long time. As usual the money has not materialised.

This does appear to be the thin end of the wedge that is being forced in rapidly, sans grease.

16B

brakedwell
8th Jun 2005, 18:08
Re-Wing?
Not a hope, B Liar is spending all our money on Africa!

StopStart
9th Jun 2005, 06:47
These aren't some of the "new" upgraded aircraft are they?

k1rb5
9th Jun 2005, 12:52
Does this mean there is a use for the Mk5 J after all??

KYT
12th Jun 2005, 17:24
A good use for any 'J' would be a 'bay' guard.....oh that's what they used to be!!!!! I couldn't see the 'Jaishion' Cmdr allowing that!!

truckiebloke
12th Jun 2005, 18:21
or perhaps some good uses for a 'j' would be to represent the herc in basra full time, or to cover the 'k' in kabul for months on end when it cant supply frames again.... or when the 'k' cant lift too much load in the hot and high climates...

:ok: :ok:

C130 Techie
12th Jun 2005, 19:13
Excellent!! Here comes yet another J vs K w1lly waving contest:(

Come on guys get a life!!!

StopStart
12th Jun 2005, 20:57
Notwithstanding the inevitable cockfighting that occurs whenever the Herc is mentioned on this site, does anyone know the answer to my earlier question?
Are any of the affected aircraft the newly modded ones?

Desert Bat
12th Jun 2005, 22:16
No, don't panic. The exciting aircraft are just u/s because the groundcrew are all painting the hangar floor.

Oh, and the idea behind the Lims is just to give the 3 aircraft a better chance of seeing out the planned out of service date. If you carried on flying them on Tac training and so on, they would have to be withdrawn earlier than planned. Getting a bit old, you see.

As for using Mk 5 wings, umm...no. I don't know where to start with what's wrong with that idea.

Unmissable
13th Jun 2005, 23:26
Herc Fatigue = reading forums which degenerate into pi**ing contests between aircrew from the same station, in the same role, working for the same company, bitch about something that doesn't really matter.

US Herk
20th Jun 2005, 02:54
Latest rumour is that the Wings from the blighted Mk5 J models are to be transferred onto the K's - Likely?!

That rumour has been around since early '02 after the Mk1s started taking a beating downrange. While it's not as far-fetched as it sounds (the wings are all basically the same), the real issue will be the centre wing box. If it's uprated or left as-is...stiffer outer wings on an already over-taxed centre box could spell more problems...

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
20th Jun 2005, 18:15
Hi Gang;

Doubt that they will swap the wings...the Mk5s can be a useful beast and all vibe restrictions will hopefully be removed soon...making role easier.

The 'K' situation with the 3 frames is reminiscent of the SFI 17/18 debacle of nearly a decade ago. We got through it then.

And there is no J/K pi$$ing from me either.

Edited for Red Wine Speeling

Regards...
J Bloke:ok:

Navaleye
20th Jun 2005, 18:22
Will the J/K franternity finally unite to turn their venom on the A400 when it arrives*? Or is this widely over optimistic.

*Assuming they last that long.