PDA

View Full Version : Nerves

milkywhites
8th Jun 2005, 10:11
Hi,

I posted this on the Medical forum, but thought it might get some reactions here as well. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of dealing with nerves? I am working my way through flying training and am having real problems with nerves. Sometimes I am so uptight that I cant make any sense of the information I am reading on the instruments or on the approach plates.
I am worried that if I am up tight about things at this point what will I be like when it comes to the IRT? If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

milky.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Jun 2005, 15:44
I am not sure whether this will help you, but I think everyone suffers from this. Firstly are these nerves in fear of the IRT, or every time you get in the aircraft? I think a certain degree of apprehension is a good thing, it keeps you on your toes and stops complacency creeping in, not really a good thing in aviation.

If you are fearing the IRT, as I have mentioned everyone goes through it. However, I am sure you will find, as I did when I did mine, your nerves soon dissapear once you are occupied with flying the aeroplane. Just try and keep cool, and get things in perspective, try and plan ahead as much as possible, this will keep the pressure off of you. If you make a mistake, try your very best the put it behind you, the examiner will most likely have spotted it, however, it does not necessarily mean you have failed. I made plenty of mistakes on my IRT, which were picked up, however I did not fail because of them, I just got a bollocking and the examiner suggested a better way of doing things.

Good luck, don't worry, you will be alright. Afterwards you will wonder what the fuss was about when the examiner says, 'I am pleased to tell you Mr/Mrs/Miss Milky, you have passed':ok:.

If it is fear in general, try some relaxation techniques, I might be able to suggest some.

All the best.

Craggenmore
8th Jun 2005, 16:08
I had to stop the car twice before a sim check in order to, ahem, 'calm down' :eek: :ugh: :yuk:

Its very common to get nerves but once you get those engines started you should settle down inside the cockpit. Its waiting for the examiner to join you is the hard part.

Just go with the flow and say to yourself; "This is my time to take charge of the flight."

milkywhites
8th Jun 2005, 16:31
Thanks for your input, it is helpful.
I was pretty confident at the beginning of my IR course but as time has gone on, I am becoming more and more nervous. I think it is fear of making a mistake and wasting my money...
I am not sure if it is all down to me or a combination of me, my nerves and my instructor. Unfortunately it is a small school with only one IR instructor so I cant ask for a new one and I am not sure if changing school halfway through is a good idea. Up until now I have been a reasonably confident pilot (but not too confident! I want to keep my spotty bum in one piece) so it is a bit of a surprise that I am falling to pieces at this stage of the game. :confused:

I would be keen to hear about any relaxation techniques anyone has :ok:

milky (mr.)

Ex Oggie
8th Jun 2005, 18:14
First of all, don't beat yourself up about it, we have all been 'there'. Some of us still make the occasional visit 'there' before some trips and tests. A few alternative ideas.

Firstly, take a trip to a major UK high street chemist and get a bottle of Bach Flower Remedy. Follow the instructions and you will be suprised at the results.

Secondly, try and find a local, reputable psycologist/hypnotist (I don't know where you are located). Most will teach self relaxation techiniques. For an investment of maybe £30, you will master a skill that will stand you in good stead for years.

Hope this helps.

Jinkster
8th Jun 2005, 18:21
Bach - Rescue Remedy - brilliant stuff!!!!!:D

VFE
9th Jun 2005, 11:35
'No Sleep Till Hammersmith' by Motorhead. Not relaxing per se but at least it took my mind off things which in the run up to a test can sometimes be a good thing - you don't wanna fry your brain too early whittling about stuff.

VFE.

theWings
9th Jun 2005, 12:46
Perhaps easier for me to say from the point of view of someone on the right side of that test but it worked for me:

You are nervous because you are worried that you'll fail. Therefore, if you think you'll pass you'll be less nervous. Why not allow yourself to think you'll pass? After all, by your test date you'll have been properly trained and your instructor won't put you up for the test unless he/she thinks you'll pass.

Obviously, being overconfident is never good for a whole host of reasons. But why not be quietly confident of your abilities? It will neither be arrogant nor jinx the result. But it WILL help your nerves.

ATB
the Wings

birdlady
9th Jun 2005, 13:54
I have to agree that rescue remedy is marvellous stuff. I took it before my test and it really helped. I find that if you write down all the stuff your going to do before the test helps when the brain goes a bit blank in the a/c. A technique that works well for me. :ok: :ok: :ok:

Canada Goose
9th Jun 2005, 21:42
Yep ........ was going to recommend rescue remedy when I first saw your post but I thought people would give me grief for suggesting such a thing and I also thought I wouldn't want to get somone in the 'habit' of taking it all the time !! Took it once many years ago before my wedding (as did my best man ;-)) and also before my first solo x-country. All back in the 90's - never taken it since, but it does calm you down yet you still retain sobriety !! Still got the bottle somewhere ........

Other than that I was going to suggest talking with your instructor but you've already touched upon that one !!

I do know where you are coming from with regard to failing and then having to spend more money etc etc. It only adds to the whole fear thing, but try not to get too wound up. When my IRT arrived it was one of the best flights I ever did but whilst taxxing I tried to respond to a call from TWR on the radio call using a yoke mounted A/P switch instead of the PTT switch - til the examiner pointed brought it to my attention !!! Ha !! That's subliminal nerves for you !! ;)

Good luck.
CG

johnnypick
10th Jun 2005, 08:01
I used to get so nervous before flight tests , that my Instructor and examiner used to lie to me about the test dates. I'd come in and they'd drag me to exam room for the oral test, at least I'd get some sleep the night before.

Lee Frost
10th Jun 2005, 22:31
Get lots of P/T in. Try a 1 hour run first thing in the morning, and again at least 2 hours before retiring to sleep. Remember if you are training in the evening, you need a couple of hours to wind down if you are to get good sleep.

Not only will this help you relax :}, it will give you time to reflect on things which are going wrong, what you are doing right, shift a sense of perspective back into your training. I mean having a think about things during the exercise.

Also you might like to use the time training to envisage likely situations with flying, and mentally go through the procedures involved. If you target this at a heart rate of around 140 bpm you can be better assured of your performance under test conditions.

Best of luck. I had a similar problem with my performance in a different field some years ago (competition music) and the above worked very well within around one month.

Hope this helps,

LF