PDA

View Full Version : NZ regionals: lifestyle & opportunities?

ditching
7th Jun 2005, 16:23
Hi folks

As my better half is from NZ and she wants to go home we will settle there sometime in the near future… I’m currently considering my options, with a FAA ATP (approx 2700 TT, of which 650 ME including some King Air experience). Up to now I’ve worked as an FI, but unfortunately not for an airline. And yes, almost forgot it, a MSc in Aerospace Eng appears somewhere on my CV, together with my birth date which indicates an age of 27.

Though the NZ regionals seem to be hiring, what are the chances to get a job out of it for people like me? Of course I know I would have to convert to NZ license, how much will they rip me off for that? I’m aware of the 50hr NZ instrument requirement of Air NSN.

Besides all of this, I would appreciate if insiders could describe the lifestyle at NZ regionals, ie roster, number off-base overnights, benefits etc. Although not to be neglected pay is not of primary concern for me (shouldn’t be for any pilot these days I guess…)

Many thanks for any input!

I’m ditching…
:D

Captain Condom
8th Jun 2005, 23:27
Don't really know about converting your licence (www.caa.govt.nz).

At the moment the regionals are all hiring - should stay like that for the next year or so as Air NZ are expected to continue hiring throughout next year.

Air Nelson.
Great company to work for. Lot of experienced pilots (as I say job is pretty good so many don't want to leave). In the process of replacing SAAB340's with new Dash8-300s. Roster is for 28 days, issued a week in advance, with opportunity to specify 8 days off or specific duties. Generally work fairly hard - maybe 1 or 2 standbys per roster (28 days) and often called out. Average between 130 and 160 duty hours per roster. Perhaps 4 or 5 overnights per roster for Nelson base (most other bases don't do overnights). Salary about $45 on new type if you have all ATPLs, plus 7% super. 30 days leave. Free loss of licence cover. Air New Zealand staff travel priveleges.

At the moment about 2 years to a command if you are prepared to relocate, although a couple of years it would take 5 or 6 years before a command came up.

Company is well sorted - equipment is well maintained, reasonably well crewed, you turn up, fly and go home with no hassles. Flying is varied. Current bases are Nelson (no more crew will be based there), Wellington, New Plymouth, Napier, Tauranga and Auckland. Talk of a Hamilton base next year.

Hope this helps.

ditching
9th Jun 2005, 20:25
Thank you CC - pretty much the info I was looking for!

What about drivers of the other 'air'bus companies in NZ?

Are they still there:confused:

CT7
9th Jun 2005, 21:35
Why don't you apply directly to Air NZ?

ditching
11th Jun 2005, 11:37
Yup thought of it, but do you think I (with no airline exp) have a real chance against you NZ local blokes with >3000TT? At least they say on the Air NZ website that half of the intakes have >3000, and besides they require 100hrs air transport or so which I unfortunately don’t have.

Personally I’d rather fly for the regionals, mainly because of the lifestyle. As CC says being home most or even all nights, company funded LOL, days off bidding possibility and all of this for magic NZ$45K!!!! Such things are unheard of the regionals in Bush Country :D where you gotta fly as they want you to do, ONLY standby flying (for the first six months or so), and if on older types you’ll be a flight engineer for a year before switching to the RHS. And this for US 1500 a month if lucky:mad:

I think if you want to have a somewhat normal family life you seem to have a pilot’s paradise at Air NSN… And as for me of course I looove flying, but after all I’m married to my wife and not to aviation :p

Cheers