PDA

View Full Version : Clearing disk free space

vancouv
7th Jun 2005, 08:17
Has anyone used a free program that will read through a disk and securely wipe any free space?

I'm not talking about programs that will securely delete a file - I mean an 'after the event' solution that will securely wipe files that have already been deleted, including destroying file names, access dates etc.

I've come across a few on the internet, but I'm reluctant to let them loose on my PC without some kind of personal recommendation!

7th Jun 2005, 12:20
I've used a prog called Cyberscrub, many times, and have never had any problems. You can use it to delete files, or to clean the free disk space.
You do have to pay for it, but there is a 15 day free download (full program) available.

cyberscrub (http://www.cyberscrub.com/products/index.php?n=side_navigation)

Beagle-eye
7th Jun 2005, 14:59
ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com). Free, quick to download and works a treat.:ok:

7th Jun 2005, 15:55
Ccleaner is a handy tool, but it doesn't do what vancouv wants.
It deletes all your internet history, downloaded files, junk etc, and it only takes a couple of seconds to run.

Cyberscrub overwrites any free space on your hard drive (up to 9 times, depending on the security required), and makes it totally impossible for any deleted files to be recovered.
On a mid range setting, it takes about 3-4 hours to totally scramble the free space.

Lord Lucan
20th Jun 2005, 12:22
PGP - the well known encryption program includes a free space wipe utility

www.pgp.com

Paracab
21st Jun 2005, 00:15

Would there be any benefit in using Cyberscrub if you just use the PC mainly for internet access (private, non business) at home ?

I use crap cleaner but will do anything to keep the system running sweetly.

Regards,

Pc

21st Jun 2005, 08:09
Paracab,
It depends mainly on what type of sites you visit:\ , and if you want to totally delete all evidence of your internet activity.

Cyberscrub has quite a lot of features.
You can totally delete files or folders, so that they can never be recovered,
scramble the free space on your hard drive, (something that you should always do, when disposing of a computer),
It will also delete and scramble anything in your recycle bin, and get rid of of any Windows info (recent doc's etc).

I might be wrong, but I don't think that there is any performance increase in using Cyberscrub, as all you are doing is scrambling old data, and not actually recovering any space on your PC.

Paracab
25th Jun 2005, 00:17

Thanks for that, don't think I need cyberscrub, I mean, honestly, me, dodgy sites, heaven forbid....!

:} :uhoh: :ok: