PDA

View Full Version : Qld Police Air Wing

PCFlyer
6th Jun 2005, 23:33
Wondering if anyone out there could give me some info on the police air wing in Qld.

I have done some searching around but not much out there on this subject. All I know at this stage is that at the current time all the pilots appear to be civilians.

I'm wondering what the chances are for a sworn officer to work their way into the air wing and ultimately a pilot position? :confused:

I appreciate any info at all

feel free to pm also.

ConwayB
7th Jun 2005, 12:35
G'day PCF,

I didn't know that QPS had an air wing! I know that Queensland Rescue has aircraft in Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns that are used for law enforcement on an as required basis, and that the QLD govt have aircraft that move officers/detectives and prisoners around the state/interstate... but an air wing? Is that what you're talking about or does the QPS have a dedicated wing?

I'd be interested to hear more about this capability. As for an answer to your question, I can't say... but good luck.

CB

18-Wheeler
7th Jun 2005, 16:02
Yep, I flew for them for a few days in the Citation they used to have.
Mal Lynch was the guy that Captained it.
Not sure what they have these days, but they didn't seem to require being in the Force beforehand to get in.

PCFlyer
7th Jun 2005, 19:43
Yeah, they definitely have an airwing. "In October 1975, the Police Air Wing became operational following the purchase of two single-engine aircraft." They recently added a B1900 as was on the news in Brisbane a few nights ago.

18-Wheeler, thats the thing, all pilots are civilians. I'm wondering if thats a requirement or if maybe they actually prefer officers but just can't get any that are qualified.

F111
8th Jun 2005, 12:08
The QLD Police Air Wing operate the following aircraft;

C208: PSQ & PSY

B1900D: PSK

C560: PSV

Send your details to:

CHIEF PILOT, POLICE AIR WING, GPO BOX 1440 BRISBANE, QLD,4001

OZBUSDRIVER
9th Jun 2005, 07:38
October 1975? Was it that long ago? The first two aircraft were ex Army C180s.

Woomera
9th Jun 2005, 11:13
All pilots are civilian, although some by pure coincidence have a previous Police background.

A very competent and professional low profile organisation.

Arm out the window
10th Jun 2005, 03:25
And no 'Pigs might fly' jokes allowed!

Capt Fathom
10th Jun 2005, 03:38
Slightly off topic ....
Years ago the NSW police used a Partenavia?? to monitor the speed limit on the freeway between Sydney and Newcastle. They had markings on the road and numerous signs advertising the aerial patrols. Some wag over-painted the signs with 'pigs in space'. (No disrespect intended constable!)

18-Wheeler
10th Jun 2005, 09:22
Years ago the NSW police used a Partenavia?? to monitor the speed limit on the freeway between Sydney and Newcastle. They had markings on the road and numerous signs advertising the aerial patrols. Some wag over-painted the signs with 'pigs in space'. (No disrespect intended constable!)

That's nearly as funny as ...

http://www.billzilla.org/forumpics/targeting.jpg

puff
11th Jun 2005, 07:35
18 wheeler, i saw another of those signs but the comment about the larger ladies was replaced with Donuts :)

The Voice
11th Jun 2005, 07:56
a loooooooooooong time ago, a certain NTPOL pilot used to advise his dep call thus:

"pigs in space"

usually brought the house down !!

fixa24
12th Jun 2005, 03:15
the citation is VH PSU.....