PDA

View Full Version : Do People who single out forum members for a bit of attention get up your nose?

althenick
6th Jun 2005, 22:16
I ain't a fly boy or in the mil anymore - But without trying to sound like a snivelling tw@ or PC - Pr00ne and BEagle (along with all the others who have been verbal'd in the past) this forum would be a sadder place without you.

i'd rather speak my mind about something and enter into spirited debate than tow the "Party Line" :O

BEagle
7th Jun 2005, 17:23
Thanks for your kind words.

It takes a lot of care, if you're still in the Mil, to sail close enough to the wind without falling out of the boat. But if you do, I can tell you that you can expect the odd wave to swipe you across the face when you're not looking!

The inadequately testiculated 'stars in their eyes' career creeps may give you a lot of hassle if they know you're a prolific PPRuNEr!

soddim
7th Jun 2005, 17:53
In a word - yes. However, i guess if you p*ss them off, you'll be next!

Zoom
7th Jun 2005, 18:17
You've raised an interesting point there, BEagle. How many of you serving types actually tell your colleagues that you PPRuNe regularly or at all, and how many actually give away your identities either intentionally or accidentally? I think I would try to stay incognito if I was still serving, particularly as most of what I write is unmitigated tripe.

tmmorris
7th Jun 2005, 19:14
Well, as a mere VR(T) I was traced and phoned by HQ Air Cadets concerning a post I'd made on here... so they are definitely reading this! The call was friendly, but paternal...

Tim

C130 Techie
8th Jun 2005, 06:48
Quite happy for my identity to be known. It is known to my boss and others currently serving.

If you really believe in something and want to express a view then you should be prepared to stand up and be counted. I believe that in most cases you can do this staying within current service regs.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you don't agree with it then argue the point on this forum. There is always the ignore list for the odd exception.

Red Line Entry
8th Jun 2005, 07:33
I like the anonymity. Not to protect my career but rather it gives the forum a refreshing rank-free atmosphere. Discussion can be carried out here on the basis of the validity of the argument and not the number of rings on the speaker's shoulders!

WorkingHard
8th Jun 2005, 13:55
tmmorris - I am intriqued as to HOW you were traced

Onan the Clumsy
8th Jun 2005, 14:13
Very intersting thought really. Most of my postings are on JetBlast and are trivial in nature. Very few people know my identity, but that's because I don't serve or work in the airline industry. In fact I think I've only ever met one other prooner.

I've never had to think much about posting something though there have been several that I have regretted :p

Red Line has a very good point

The Real Slim Shady
8th Jun 2005, 14:29
Does the European Human Rights Act which enshrines Freedom of Thought and Speech apply to the military? Or is there an exemption?

That Act would allow you to post here without repercussion, regardless of rank / status, if the post is not in conflict with Official Secrets Act etc. (UK only).

16 blades
8th Jun 2005, 15:58
That particular article of HRA seems to be very loosely enforced, if at all - the great apparatchiks of the mighty EU couldn't possibly have The Great Unwashed free to say how crap it all is, can they?

I too enjoy the anonimity provided here - my views are sometimes controversial, as are those of many others, and the UK Military has strict rules regarding public comments by servicemen. I think only 1 other PPruNer knows my identity.

I feel the discussions that develop in here couldn't be half as interesting without anonimity - and as RLE points out, it is a great leveller.

16B

Tonkenna
8th Jun 2005, 16:34
Well, I don't post as much as I used to. I have had the odd "chat" about my PPRuNeing, but that has never stopped me and I am also happy that people know who I am... I do have my proone name on my name badge afterall. I don't post as much as I used to because the mil pages are not as good as they used to be... to much rubbish posted to be honest.

As for insults, well a lot of that is what has cut down my posting because it is boring and rubbish and I don't have the time to sift (except when I am down in the Falklands... as I am now :rolleyes:). I know that BEagle gets a lot of negative comment from some, but it should not be forgotten that he did an incredible amount of work for us mil pilots to get ATPLs... he didn't have to, but he did. I will be doing the minimal stuff I have to do later this year and for that I am very very grateful. You don't have to agree with posters, but you don't have to be bl00dy rude either.

There has been in the past the odd idiot who has just posted to wind people up... they are just sad. This place would be so much better if we got back to sensible posting.

Tonks :cool:

EESDL
9th Jun 2005, 12:51
Blimey, I concur with ol' C130 techie.
Always felt that if you feel obliged to 'say' something then you shouldn't hide........never attempted to hide my ID and with 21DTG until pension, quite frankly my darlings, quite glad I wasn't one of those anon posters......

Dan Winterland
10th Jun 2005, 07:00
I was drinking beer with Danny in Bahrain when he mentioned he was considering starting this Forum. He was concerned about moderation and after politely declining the job, I considered that the forum would moderate itself due to the inherent discipline of the posters and the fact that in many cases, our identities would be easy to establish. I think I was mostly correct.

And as I didn't consider myself as a career person when I was in the mob, I never really attempted to hide my identity. I've taken a bit of banter about being a ppruner over the years, including from my first RO! But I think this forum has a valuable function. Not least making their airships aware of the feeling from the shop floor without it being filtered by the middle level sycophants too concerend for their own carrers!

Send my regards to the Falklands Tonks!