PDA

View Full Version : Does PrOOne annoy you or is it just me

beerdrinker
6th Jun 2005, 19:55
Sorry, Had to start this one after reading his left wing rants on so many theads.

His profile says (and I paraphrase) "FJ pilot turned barrister". One has to ask - exactly what FJ?

Also seems typically hypocrtitical to me that a left wing (anti capitalist by defintion) lawyer makes his money in corporate law.

Stand by for incoming!!!

TC27
6th Jun 2005, 20:11
With respect if you think his views are left wing you need to get out more.

engineer(retard)
6th Jun 2005, 20:13
I will admit that for a while I thought pr00ne was a crap diguise for Geoff Hoon. However, after a while it turned out he did know something about the military, so it could not have been him.

I suppose hypocrisy comes with the trade, having to defend the guilty bar stewards. But for £1900 a minute I could live with it. Seems a bit odd though supporting an outfit that wants to take it all back in tax.

cazatou
6th Jun 2005, 20:22
You also have to remember that a person's statement of who and what they are is not subject to any checks.

It is inevitable that a certain percentage of the users of this site have invented totally bogus personna to hide their real identity.

pr00ne
6th Jun 2005, 20:30
Dear Beer drinker,

FJ was the McD Phantom FGR2 (Coningsby and Bruggen), prior to that the mighty Chipmunk, JP 3 and 4, Gnat, Hunter various and then the Toom!

“Left wing anti-capitalist lawyer?”

What?

Where do you get this anti-capitalist claptrap from? I am a Barrister working in the City of London who just happens to have a bit of a sense of social justices and likes to challenge inaccurate misleading and nonsensical statements such as; ‘massive cuts to the Defence budget,’ ‘the UK is finished,’ ‘we are heading for a European super state’ etc etc etc. My views are well known and some moons ago another ex RAF colleague of mine pointed me in the direction of Pprune knowing it would be a bit like a red rag to a bull.

Exactly what sort of beer do you drink?

SASless
6th Jun 2005, 21:12
It had to be a "RED" flag I assume? Not a multi-colored one....

Sorry....the claim to defend social justice and all that....nope...not buying it. Fair and Balanced....nope!

4fitter
6th Jun 2005, 21:23
My learned Mr PrOOne,

Whilst I may not agree with all that you write, I appreciate the conviction you show and the ability with which you challenge some of our more popularist views. With my own people, I expect them to challenge the norms and to expect reasonable explanations to any question, no matter how seemingly dumb.

In my view, their questions are not threats but an incentive to make sure that I am on top of my game. I do not spin and my head has been over the top so many times that my future career choices are now based on quality of life for my family.

Personally, I would have enjoyed you being on my staff, not least for the mental masturbation !

Come on guys and gals, we are what we are quite simply because we are not a one size fits all. If you do not agree with his views, fine but I for one enjoy PPRUNE because of the balance of differing views. I would also admit that I have changed, initiated my own policies as a result of the arguments I have enjoyed on this site. I suspect that my appointment is not easily deduced, however, please be assured that I am in the privileged position to make some small differences.

As an aside, BEagle, ABIW, 16 Blades, Eng (Ret) and even Cambridge Crash can all claim responsibility for influencing my decisions. :oh:

4fitter

PPRuNe Radar
6th Jun 2005, 21:27
An ex FJ QC did an excellent job for the defence during the 'Spot' court martial (RAF vs a RAF ATCO as a result of 2 x F15s crashing in Scotland) resulting in justice being done for the ATCO scapegoat. So they can't be all bad.

Respect :ok:

soddim
6th Jun 2005, 21:44
Nobody who flew the mighty Phantom is all bad - might disapprove of some of Pr00ne's posts but not his choice of jet.

Pilgrim101
6th Jun 2005, 21:50
Won me back over with his reference to the "mighty" Chipmunk !! ;)

16 blades
6th Jun 2005, 22:02
Whilst I do find some of Pr00ne's views ridiculous, and I frequently (read constantly!) disagree with him on a fundamental level, I feel a thread dedicated to his castigation is a little unfair. Aside from my general dedication to free speech, Pr00ne is an intelligent individual who (generally) constructs his arguments well. Most of them are bollocks, but that shouldn't take away from his right to air them here! There are others on here who would be more deserving of castigation....!

Never thought I'd end up defending you, old boy, but there you go.

You're still a lefty git, though!

16B

tablet_eraser
6th Jun 2005, 23:46
Do pr00ne's views really make him left-wing? I don't agree with some of his posts, but I think it's a very poor line of reasoning that establishes someone's political preferences based upon their opinions on a single topic (in this case, the military). As a self-confessed conservative (note the small 'c'!) my political preference might seem at odds with my views on, say, gay marriage or public spending. You can't identify someone's politics until you've engaged him in a more expansive debate.

It's unfair and ignorant to criticise pr00ne for his views - banter is fine, but the hallmark of an idiot is his dismissal of every opinion other than his own.

I think it was Voltaire who said, "I may disagree with your opinion, but I will defend to my death your right to express it." Let's act like professionals and accept that pr00ne and BEags both have opinons that should be expressed. Turn your attention instead to those who can't accept someone else's ideals.

Onan the Clumsy
7th Jun 2005, 00:32
Does PrOOne annoy you or is it just me The last time this question was asked, the answer was "No, it's just you."

:}

Now I have to go searching and find some of pr00ne's old posts (sometimes it's like work being here) :bored:

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2005, 08:26
What you do get from pr00ne is a carefully argued response based on facts. As the response is based on facts then they are open to challenge using countervailing facts. Given two sets of facts supporting different view points then you can construct a logical debate.

Only when neither side will agree will the a debate possibly descend to a brawl. pr00ne does not brawl.

BEagle
7th Jun 2005, 17:19
He doesn't annoy me; nothing like the cut and thrust of vigorous debate to sharpen the wit!

His politics are a bit sad though.....

Hueymeister
7th Jun 2005, 17:35
pROOOOONE, YOU CAN REPRESENT MY RIGHTS (AND LEFTS) ANYTIME....

Roland Pulfrew
7th Jun 2005, 20:51
Yes, often.:(

But I would not have it any other way!:ok: