PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Take Off Hand Signals....by Service

SASless
6th Jun 2005, 03:21
Naval Aviators:

On a carrier, the Naval Aviator looks over at the Catapult Officer ("Shooter") who gives the run up engines signal by rotating his finger above his head.
The pilot pushes the throttle forward, verifies all flight controls are operational, checks all gauges, and gives the Cat officer a brisk salute, followed by a thumbs up signal. Thus continuing the Navy - Marine tradition of asking permission to leave the ship. The Cat officer drops to one knee while swooping his arm forward and pointing down deck, granting that permission. The pilot is immediately catapulted airborne.

Air Force:

We've all seen Air Force pilots at the air base look up just before taxi for takeoff and the ground crew waits until the pilot's thumb is sticking straight up. The crew chief then confirms that he sees the thumb, salutes, and the Air Force pilot then takes off. This time-tested tradition is the last link in the Air Force safety net to confirm that the pilot does not have both thumbs up his ass on takeoff.

Army:

If you've ever seen an Army helicopter pilot preparing for take-off you will note that the pilot gives the ground guy a thumbs up before he is given hover and take-off signals. There are three theories about the origin of this gesture. One is that it is to show that the pilot has identified which of his fingers is the thumb so that he will be able to properly operate his controls. Another theory says that this is to show the ground crewman that the pilot indeed knows which direction is up. The most compelling theory, though, says that the thumbs-up gesture is simply an indication that the aircraft is actually being operated by one of the higher primates indicated by the opposable thumb configuration.

engineer(retard)
6th Jun 2005, 08:27
And I thought the navy thumb was to show which blue bit they intended to operate in......

ShyTorque
6th Jun 2005, 08:44
It's important to standardise these things.

I once gave a Navy groundcrew the RAF signal for starting the second engine. He took it that I was giving him a V sign, because he was only used to single engined stuff (Gazelle and Wasp). The poor dear turned on his heel and flounced off sobbing to his boss to complain about me!

While we thought "WTF?" :confused: