PDA

View Full Version : O'Connor Ground Course

still holding
6th Jun 2005, 02:14
Just got an e-mail from these guys asking if I'd like to attend a "recruitment course" after applying to them when they advertised in the Australian sometime ago. Said that all applications would be reviewed after completion of the course and only then would they offer positions. Any guys/girls out their working for them like to give their thoughts on this and what they are like to work for.

leg man
6th Jun 2005, 10:14
I got the same mass email. Does anyone have any detail? Is there a cost?

Is the offer similar to the on offered by GW on the B1900?

Capt Under Pants
6th Jun 2005, 10:43
Yep I also got one. The letter says there is info about the ground school/recrutiment course attached. I had no attachment about this. What you about you both?

Zhaadum
6th Jun 2005, 15:27
15-20 guys do the ground course at a cost of ~$750-1000 bucks not to mention cost of airfare, accom' etc to get there. Then only 5 get a chance at endorsement (pay yourself too $5000?? not sure), then 2-3 hired and rest on wait list for up to 12 months. The 15 others have no endorsement and told to go away. O'Connors makes a lazy 10-15 grand for nothing!

I think they run these courses as required to fill a void in fixed costs when things are quiet.

And before anyone comments, I have not done this course myself, but know several who have, and were unsuccessful, after being told they passed (face to face) and then got a don't come monday email when they got home. No reason given, but when asked told not enough IFR time. However certain other pilots hired with LESS IFR time. Go figure!

fascinating
7th Jun 2005, 00:58
There is absolutely no cost for undertaking the ground school on the J32. You do have to find your own way to Mt Gambier and find your own accomodation. You first of all have to pass the endorsement paper on the J32 at the end of the ground school, then go through interviews etc and from that the initial selections are made. There is of course only a limited number of positions available initially after the ground school, so if you miss out but have ticked off all of the 'aboves' and a position becomes vacant then you are in a position to be offered a slot. You don't pay for the endorsement but are bonded (which seems to be the go for industry these days). It's a good company, good aircraft and reliable work.

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jun 2005, 01:07
And Leah Oconnor is a top bloke...a good operation and the last of the family owned airlines....a fella could do worse imho.

Piston Twin
7th Jun 2005, 14:08
Has anybody confirmed their place on this course, or have any other info further to what was in the email?

PM me if you do.

Cheers
PT

Veruka Salt
8th Jun 2005, 09:08
Impulse used to do the same thing, and then make you pay for your endorsement!!:yuk: :yuk:

F111
8th Jun 2005, 11:29
Veruka Salt,

Not 100% correct. At VQ it worked like this;

1. You were called in for an interview and sim ride.
2. If you passed the interview and sim you were offered a position based on you passing the groundschool.
3. Everyone on the groundshool had a job offer with VQ, your start date depended on how your interview, sim and your final groundschool exam went. If you went well in all 3 you started immediately, the others were put on hold and would get a start within 2 months.

fascinating,

I've sent you a PM regarding the J32.

Capt Under Pants
3rd Jul 2005, 07:54
Has anyone who attended the ground school course got any feedback on the course or possible job offers?

Chris Higgins
3rd Jul 2005, 11:21
F-111

Are you saying that Impulse didn't make you pay for a B-1900 endorsement?

chief wiggum
3rd Jul 2005, 23:09
Are you saying that Impulse didn't make you pay for a B-1900 endorsement?

Initially they didn't, then they did, then they bonded you... then they got sold to QF, and now you do again(A320).