PDA

View Full Version : Where are you based for CX command

TurbineDreamer
6th Jun 2005, 01:15
Just a question out of interest, if you have or get to command at CX, do you have to be based back in HK. I know of some Snr FO's based in OZ, will they have to go back to HK to get cmd or can they just not bid for it and remain Snr FO's in OZ for their career?

Cheers

jtr
6th Jun 2005, 01:44
On the pax fleet you must return to HKG for your command, and then go to the bottom of the list for basings as a capt.

At the moment less than half the "eligible" candidates are passing command, so there is a good (50% +) chance that you will be able to go back on your base as soon as you fail your command!

Cathay - Taking training to new levels

point85
9th Jun 2005, 06:58
Wow... less than half passing there command upgrade! That serious stuff! Could you enlighten us as to why this might be happening? Is the training just that tough or is it lack of experience? Appreciate some feed back.

AAIGUY
9th Jun 2005, 17:01
"Is the training just that tough or is it lack of experience? Appreciate some feed back."

It sure isn't lack of experience. These are some of the highest trained crews in the world that I would suspect have all been with CX10years plus.. I suspect it has to do with the insanely high standard of proficency that must be achieved.

pontius's pa
9th Jun 2005, 17:57
CX command training has always been demanding, whether too demanding is, and has been, a matter of conjecture.

Must say 50% failure rate seems pretty high.

AAIGUY

Pls don't be offended but are you sure of your facts or is there a little bit of hyperbole coming into play here

point85
9th Jun 2005, 20:26
Is it true that one only get 2 trys at the command upgrade and then they are let go?

Dockjock
10th Jun 2005, 04:25
Blame the hiring department. They're the ones screening for "future Captains" eh? ;)

sinkingship
10th Jun 2005, 06:51
they probably keep you on, Cat D career 2&half bars!!

bigjim1983
13th Jun 2005, 09:24
Would the failed candidates have a chance for a second go or they will be kicked out of the company?

shortly
17th Jun 2005, 01:06
A/T less. what a load of old cobblers. The managers meet, all fleets, to decide who will get a shot at command. It's called a command selection board. They are professionally run and all candidates are given a fair hearing. Why would they waste time and money on someone they intended to fail later. Grow up young fellow. By the way, there are examples of three shots at a command course.

OhForSure
17th Jun 2005, 04:49
What I'm interested to know is IF you do fail lets say two or three times... and it gets to the stage that CX make it clear that you are not going to get your command... will you just remain an FO forever, or will you be politely shown the door?

I've heard they are a bit harsh with check rides and command training, but how far will they go?