PDA

View Full Version : CPL (SE) and CPL (MEP) Confusion.

ikea
5th Jun 2005, 21:12
Dear All,
I know its a long way way, but already im looking at my advanced training. I am a little confused over something though. Ive done some research, but im still quite unclear.

With an IR, there is SE and ME. The ME would in 99.9% of cases be required for airline work, and is what im aiming for. I hope to get my PPl+Multi next month at OBA.

So, my question is, having already got a Multi rating, would I have to take the CPL (ME) course, if I wanted to do the ME-IR and hopefully one day, work for an airline?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any avice,
Alex :-)

kebab kid
5th Jun 2005, 21:54
yeah i wondered about that.

I think the CPL (ME) exists just to combine the CPL and ME courses into one, should you choose. although why someone would want the extra pressure of jumping both hurdles at once, if they don’t have to, I dunno...

But you never know, there could be some gotcha in the small print saying that you are obliged to do the CPL (ME) if you want to fly multis and already have a multi rating on your ppl - which would mean that you do the expensive multi hours twice and have a trickier cpl test, but end up with the same licence. :}

AlternativeProcedure
5th Jun 2005, 22:06
although why someone would want the extra pressure of jumping both hurdles at once, if they don’t have to, I dunno... Cost perhaps?????

Keygrip
5th Jun 2005, 23:48
Guys - in JAA land (which is different from the USA [FAA] land) we have two distinct components to the "pilot certificate".

The first bit is the LICENCE - you are either licensed to fly privately (PPL) or professionally (CPL/ATPL).

The second bit are the RATINGS that are attached to that licence. The ratings cover aircraft classification (single engine, multi engine, turbine engines, instrument flying, night flying - whatever) - which is why there is a difference in SE and ME instrument rating privilidges.

The LICENCE dictates whether you may fly for pleasure or professionally. You are then able to fly, either privately or professionally, in whatever type of aircraft or weather you are RATED in - so having a multi engine piston RATING, fo example, means you may only fly it privately if attached to a PPL or either privately or professionally if attached to a CPL/ATPL.

If you buy yourself a Boeing747 and have a B747 type RATING attached to a PPL - then, no matter how many thousands of hours you may log whilst flying your B747 - you can only fly one privately. You cannot fly one professionally - so no airline job.

So - PPL on a SE aircraft - you fly privately on SE aircraft only. If you add a multi engine RATING to that PPL then you can fly either single or twin engine aircraft PRIVATELY.

If you go on to get a professional licence - then you can fly whatever types/classes/weather that you are RATED for, professionally.

If you have a PPL with both SEP and MEP ratings then there is little value, one way or the other, if you do the test in either a single or a multi.

Why would you do the original CPL in a twin? Because it's much cheaper and it's, arguably, much easier.

REMEMBER - all the above is for JAA, not FAA.