PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a laptop screen

AerBabe
5th Jun 2005, 18:46
I've got a Samsung GT9000 series laptop which I've had for about 5-6 years. In the last few days, the bottom 1/3 of the screen has gone stripey and started to flicker. I am assuming it's a screen fault and not a connector as it's not the whole screen. It's also showing the fault even on start-up, so it's not software.

So ... was the quote I was given of £500-600 for a new screen accurate? Taking into account that I'd need someone to fit it for me, is it worth doing? Or should I route the laptop through an external monitor and turn it into a desktop? :(

Engineer
5th Jun 2005, 19:08
To confirm it is the tft screen connect external monitor and ensure that fault does not occur on the monitor?

Did a quick check on tft screen prices here (http://www.laptopsolutions.plc.uk/fixed_price_lcd_replacement_service.htm) and they appear to be quoting a lot less assuming your screen is 14" or less.

Another possible cause may be the backlight playing up

Would also suggest moving screen to various positions and each time try to reproduce fault. If it only occurs at certain angle could be a prob with the tft data/power cable that runs from the system board to the tft screen

bladewashout
5th Jun 2005, 21:12
I had a similar screen failure with a 4 year old IBM.

The cheapest fix was to hunt for someone who had one where the display was ok but the hardware was faulty. I bought the broken laptop cheap and migrate my hardware into the laptop with the working screen, using some helpful info on the hardware I found on the web.

600 quid buys a new laptop!

BW

DeltaT
5th Jun 2005, 22:36
take a look on Ebay, you may be able to get the same model for quite a good price and for parts (ie it may not be fully functional, but obviously you want the screen working), and save a load. Then take the 2 to the repairman.

Earl
5th Jun 2005, 22:59
Had the same problem on a Toshiba laptop.
Took it to the factory repair center in Jed KSA and then the keyboard went inop under their control.
I had a flight to Jakarta a few days later had the keyboard replaced and a used screen fitted which lasted a few months.
I then bought a HP laptop from Kulor Lumpor and have had it for almost 2 years. Best Laptop I ever bought.
The screens cost more to replace than the laptop is worth.
Not worth the headache, the money I spent trying to save the old one was more than half the cost of the new one.