PDA

View Full Version : Simple question I hope

RGR
5th Jun 2005, 09:23
Ok this is my first post and I hope it is in the right forum, if not I apologise.

My question is this:

What is the maximum height a pilot can be to fly commercial jet airliners?

I ask this because:

My son (aged 11) has his heart set on Flying Airliners. He is young and keen and has been taking flying lessons in a piper aircraft as well as spending hours in Flight sim. I am 6' 4" tall. My son is growing fast!

I do not want him to have his dreams shattered because of his likely height. At this age it is early days I know, but I dont think he will change..he has the bug.

I read that BA is 6'3" maximum but havent been able to find out about other airlines. I am guessing it is broadly similar across the board?

Any help, comments, guidence much appreciated.

Thankyou.

flyboy007
5th Jun 2005, 10:21
If his height is a disadvantage in any way I would be amazed. I am 6'4" and fly a passenger jet, and know plenty of guys my height flying for various carriers all over the world, including Virgin Atlantic, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific; the list goes on.

If anything it's a good thing... It means he won't have to stretch to hit the call button when he needs a new cup of tea!!!

All the best,

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jun 2005, 13:08
I'm 6'4" and apart from having to do some heavy duty folding of the frame to fit into some light aircraft, no problem. No upper limit in aircraft manuals as far as I know, but some types can be a little uncomfortable to access for the taller person. Shouldn't be a problem if he's prepared to squeeze himself into the seat. Don't know of airline limits but have heard the military have a height limit for FJ to avoid leaving bits of the crew in the cockpit in case of ejection. Good luck...:ok:

Piltdown Man
5th Jun 2005, 15:01
6'4" is short for some of the "Amsterdammers" in KLM (they are from a diffferent gene pond). Rough guess, 6'7" or so. But only for the big stuff. On small aircraft, it would probably be best to "try one on" to see if you comfortably fit.

RGR
5th Jun 2005, 15:56
I really appreciate you taking time to answer, it is a weight off my mind as well as my sons.

Many thanks,

Rolf.

:) :ok:

Craggenmore
7th Jun 2005, 17:31
Rolf,

I know a former Concorde pilot who was 6ft 7inchs, (what a squeeze!)......At that height you will also fit 757s, 767s and 747s.

So in effect, your son can even outgrow you and still have a flying career.

:ok:

pda1
10th Jun 2005, 06:54
How about minimum heights. I'm 5'2, would this be a problem?