PDA

View Full Version : ATPL distance Learning methods?

flyingdogguitar
4th Jun 2005, 15:34
Hi folks,
Just wondering what's the general concensus of opinion whilst distance learning for the ATPL's.
Do most read through the relevant chapters once, sit and contemplate a while, then go back over making notes of relevant pieces of information. Then attempt the Progress Test's?

Many Thanks

Dave

puntosaurus
4th Jun 2005, 20:17
One thing for sure, there's no consensus. It's got to be what works for you, and the approach you've set out sounds pretty reasonable.

FWIW my experience is that any kind of detailed notetaking is a waste of time. Most courses have reasonable manuals which serve as a good reference. Sometimes constructing a table (http://jals.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1169) helps structure the info, but really only you know what works for you.

There are some subjects (airlaw, ops procs) where IMHO it's a complete waste of time trying to learn the material in the syllabus - there's just too much. Better to breeze through the material trying to pick up some overall ideas, then bash some mock papers or hit an online question bank. That will narrow the focus on what is examined - otherwise you'll go mad.

Allegedly, the creation of the airlaw central question bank was delegated by the JAA to some portuguese air traffic controllers, so that may help explain why intuition and diligent learning may not be the best approach !

Good luck.

pipergirl
4th Jun 2005, 22:00
yup, have to say I agree with u puntosaurus..

i took notes and it was a complete waste of time tbh...
I would go over the material, say a chapter, then re-read it if it has completely gone over ur head move along and try the practice questions.
i found sometimes if something hasn't made much sense, the questions sometimes complimented the learning...working throughthe questions and then back to the material really helped me

it definitely is a personal thing..just try a few different approaches and eventually u'll find the way that suits u best...
best of luck with ur studies:ok:

helicopter-redeye
5th Jun 2005, 19:46
I managed to distill the numeric parts of gen nav and one or two other papers into about three pages, but noted the points I wanted to record on the notes themselves to save time.

This means nobody else could ever use the folders but hey!

h-r:)

High Wing Drifter
5th Jun 2005, 20:04
I agree with the above. Notes are a waste of time.

All I did was do a section and the progress test until I got 80%+ and then moved on. The emphasis is on momentum and moving through the subject matter swiftly and not getting bogged down with perfect scores. With a couple of weeks before the brush up course, I would do the lot again (quickly) and revise any questions I got wrong. Worked a peach.

The only notes that are valuable is an equation/formula dictionary and pin it to the wall. If you understand the sums, then the knowledge follows without trying.

cosworth211
5th Jun 2005, 23:43
I personally think it varies person to person. There's no right and wrong way, it depends on what suits you. This is where I reinforce the advantage of completing uni first, your study skills are far superior afterwards.

G SXTY
7th Jun 2005, 14:50
That’s nice and clear then Dave!

I also think that for the most part note-taking is a waste of time. I made copious notes during Mod 1, stuck them in a big folder and never looked at any of them again.

Two exceptions to the rule:
(1) Equations – jot down them down for each subject and get comfortable with them. You won’t need to commit all of them to memory (you’ll find out which ones during the brush-up), but a lot of them will be required for the exams.

(2) Really tough subjects – e.g. bits of General Nav, PoF and Performance. I just couldn’t get some of this stuff into my head without writing it down first. No matter that I never looked at it again, at least it was in there.

For the most part, it should be enough to read the chapter(s) and do the progress test. If you’re not happy with the result, read it again. I’d only start writing up notes if I still wasn’t happy after a couple of attempts at the test.

And as puntosaurus has said, forget taking notes when you get to Air Law or Ops Procedures – you’ll end up wearing your underpants on your head and sticking pencils up your nose. Just go to the groundschool and trust in the force. . . :ok:

[And by the way, the intellectual benefits of a university education will be more than offset by the dead brain cells caused by three years of alcohol abuse and watching daytime TV.] :)

puntosaurus
7th Jun 2005, 16:28
HaHaHaHaHa. Funniest post yet. Has anyone else noticed the similarity between Cosworth211 and Roger Irrelevant. I think we should be told .....