PDA

View Full Version : Redair/Blackbushe Aviation - Anyone Trained There ?

Leezyjet
2nd Jun 2005, 20:58
Hi.

I paid a visit to Redair at Blackbushe (or Blackbushe Aviation as they are also known) today for a look and to get some prices.

Anyone had any experiences of this place ?. I couldn't find much info on them using the search function.

I am thinking of doing my CPL/ME/IR with them as it's fairly easy to get to, prices seem reasonable, they have a good selection of a/c and I don't have to wear a uniform (which I am totally against when I am paying them !!) and I can also fit in my training around my work schedule.

They were very helpful, I arrived unannounced (prefer to do that so they are caught unaware and don't have time to work up the b*llsh!t) and they ran through all the training options with me and even looked into whether I would need to do a Uk R/t exam on my S.A. PPL.

So if anyone has used them for any part of their training, please can you give me an idea as to what they are like.

Thanks.

:ok:

High Wing Drifter
3rd Jun 2005, 07:03
I've sent you a PM.

Blinkz
3rd Jun 2005, 11:35
Can you send me a PM too please, I am also thinking about them.

smithgd
3rd Jun 2005, 12:03
I've recently started flying with them with a view to finishing off my CPL then doing the ME/IR. They seem a nice bunch of people. The aircraft (PA28RT) is easy to fly and well presented, the PA28 and PA34 for the ME/IR look similar. They have a new FNPT II sim arriving soon (last I heard it was May, not there yet!) so that should make IR easier. The instructor I did my checkout with has since left for a new job flying bigger planes (can't remember where or what, sorry) but if he is anything like the others then great.

Hope that helps
smithgd

mikeo
28th Jun 2005, 10:24
What did you decide in the end? I too have been thinking of going to Blackbushe aviation as they are quite close and seem reasonably priced.

Not too keen on the "plus landing fees" bit though as that will soon add up!

Blinkz
28th Jun 2005, 14:11
I've had my checkflight with them and they were a really nice bunch of guys. I'm not sure where I'm going to do my commercial training but if I went modular I'd prob consider blackbushe.

The good thing about blackbushe is that you only pay a single landing fee of £10 a flight and for that you can do as many circuits as you like.

TurboJ
28th Jun 2005, 14:38
I was going to do my CPL/ME/IR with them at Redhill, but after three phone calls trying to arrange the first trip in a twin I gave it up as a bad experience......

TJ

CAT3C AUTOLAND
29th Jun 2005, 07:47
Leezyjet,

I did all my professional training with BBA (CPL/IR/FI and Multi), and I can honestly say they did the job nicely.

I know it has already been mentioned here, but they really are a nice bunch of guys up at Blackbushe, which of course makes all the diffrerence.

One of the reasons I chose BBA was the fact it was so close to where I live, literally 4 minutes drive from my front door. The CPL instruction was very good and extremely thorough, both in the aircraft and on the ground. The turbo arrow 4 they use for their CPL training is a very nice aeroplane, and if you choose to fly with BBA, you will enjoy flying it. If you are used to flying aircraft with normally aspirated engines, you will get a buzz on take off when you feel the effectiveness of the turbo kick in! Hopefully it will get a paint job soon :D. The examier will come to Blackbushe for your test, so you won't have to go to another airfield. One thing I would say is, if you can try and pair up with someone to go through the course with, it will help you a great deal. I was lucky enough to meet a great guy who I paired up with, and we back seated all each others flights, which I found to be a great benefit, you can learn so much from watching someone else sweat from the back seat :D.

Again the instruction for the IR was very good, both in the aeroplane and on the ground. The school has an archer for the single engine portion, which is well equiped, with R NAV, a HSI and RMI, and is fully airways equipped. The twins they use are PA34 Seneca 3's. I found the Seneca to be a natural progression from the Arrow, as the engines are the same. Again, back seating I found to be of great value, you find yourself sitting there looking at the instruments and thinking 'why hasnt he turned, the localiser deviation bar is nearly half scale deflection?', not knowing that you will make the same mistakes when its your turn, its all a good learning process.

As Blinkz mentioned, landing fees are charged at £10 per flight. And agained as he/she rightly pointed out, you can do as many circuits as you like for the same price. There are no land aways with the CPL course, so on average you should budget for approximately 25 landing charges, maybe less as some of your flights will be longer towards the end of the course. Test fee, and aircraft hire for the test should also be accounted for, which is approximately £1000, maybe slightly less.

With respect to IR and multi engine rating, charges for landings are the same, however, you will be landing away for your IR, and maybe even your Multi if you pop over to France for lunch :D. You will notice that approach fees are not included. I must admit I cannot remember how much these came to, but it was approximately £500 - 600. These charges will depend on where you go. I know going to France is pretty cheap, however when you start going into the likes of Bristol main, it starts to get pricey. You will go to Bristol for you IRT, so I am sure you will go there a couple of times, as it will be in your interests to fly the potential routes from there. As I think of it, I seem to recall Filton being quite reasonable for approaches. Farnborough as just to the south of Blackbushe, and they will do free ILS's for you if they are not too busy. Again IRT charges wont be included in the course price, so bear those in mind. I think you can safely say that you will spend in the region of around £1300 for test day. This will include initial test fee, positioning the aircraft and the necessary approach fees. This maybe cheaper if you fly down with another candidate, as you will be able to share the cost of positioning.

Well, I hope the above helps, and what ever you decide, enjoy it.

All the best.

High Wing Drifter
29th Jun 2005, 09:56
Looks like I had better gt my IR booking in now :uhoh: :D