PDA

View Full Version : Hours??

nick14
2nd Jun 2005, 16:28
Hi,
Read some where that it is possible to make up hours that you have "flown" just by writing them in your log book.

Im not actually a pilot yet so i was wondering what are the CAA regulations to stop this?

Nick

Boeing737
2nd Jun 2005, 16:30
dunno, off the top of my head, i would say "maturity".
:}

plumponpies
2nd Jun 2005, 16:45
You could pen some hours in your logbook.
But you would be a Knob if you did!
Its all about integrity.

pipergirl
2nd Jun 2005, 18:22
I've wondered in the past how easy it would be to do that and what do the CAA do to make sure these hours are genuine.
I just always presumed they check them out...maybe a tad naive on my part..?!?

Apparently the pilot involved in the crash that killed the singer Aaliyah had quite a heavy number of forged hours-it is quite scary when u think of it...:uhoh:

FlyingForFun
2nd Jun 2005, 19:35
Why would you do this? To get a job? To get your license quicker?

Any examiner or recruiter would very quickly recognise that your skill level does not match the number of hours you have logged. And as soon as suspicion is raised, it's possible to start checking by comparing tech logs, ATC records, etc. Just don't do it.

FFF
-------------

Hobgoblin
2nd Jun 2005, 21:17
Too true. Working in scuba diving I used to meet people with "hundreds" of dives. Soon as they get in the water you can see the truth.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jun 2005, 22:02
The fact is, any suspicion of dubious recording and the CAA (or a prospective employer) will do one of three things, either

(a) Start looking under more and more stones, or

(b) Just tell you to clear off and forget any employment / licence / etc.

(c) Tell you to go away, and come back when you can prove EVERYTHING.

So, yes you can do it, but the odds of being found out are far too high, and the consequences too drastic, to be worth it (even if you lack the basic integrity we all assume a pilot should have).

(Personally I'd rather reduce hours minima to the lowest possible and put far more store by demonstrated ability in a test - but that's just me. Actually I know from my own professional experience that hours is much easier and cheaper as an employer to assess.)

G