PDA

View Full Version : Market research MCC

moggiee
2nd Jun 2005, 14:18
There is plenty of discussion on here about jet vs turboprop MCCs and it is NOT the intention of this thread that we should reopen that discussion.

However, given that some people will only be interested in an MCC on a jet FNPT2, how do prospective MCC candidates feel about the fact that these are more expensive than TP MCC courses (by and large, anyway)?

Do you feel that the current suppliers of jet based MCC have the price about right, pitch it too high or (even) too low?

How much do you feel is a reasonable premium to pay over a turboprop MCC if all other aspects of the course were the same (same FTO, instructors, course structure etc.)?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

many thanks

silverknapper
2nd Jun 2005, 14:36
Remember a lot of people negotiate the cost of their MCC. It's always worth a try. I know of a few who got it half price.

FlyingForFun
2nd Jun 2005, 15:27
Surely it is a question of supply and demand?

If a jet MCC was the same price as a TP MCC, the vast majority of us would use the jet, since there are bound to be some advantages when applying for a jet job, however small those advantages may be. The TP trainer would therefore be forced to lower his prices to something lower than the jet trainer is charging in order to keep himself in business.

Likewise, if the jet MCC was an order of magnitude more expensive than the TP MCC, no one would bother with it, because everyone would agree that the benefits do not justify the huge extra cost involved.

The correct price, then, is the price which is not so high as to scare people off, but not so close to the TP course as to make it an obvious choice for a significant majority of us. Based on the fact that there is so much debate on these forums about whether to do the course on a jet or not, I'd say they must have it about right!

FFF
------------

Sky Wave
2nd Jun 2005, 16:46
However, given that some people will only be interested in an MCC on a jet FNPT2
I was happy to pay a higher price for a Level D Full motion jet sim. Not sure if you can get a jet FNPT2 unless the Oxford 737 is one. I don't believe I would pay extra for a jet FNPT2 over a TP FNPT2.

I felt the price for the Jetlinx course was worth every penny and then some. Also when you consider the price that virtual aviation charge for sim time (4 hours on the A320 is £2000) the price really isn't that bad.

Send Clowns
2nd Jun 2005, 22:04
Sky Wave

Some courses on full-motion heavy jet sims are considerably cheaper than some on MRJT FNPT2s (I believe Oxford's is an FNPT2). Price has as much to do with marketing as anything.

moggiee
2nd Jun 2005, 22:27
The FTD at Oxford is indeed an FNPT2, albeit one based upon a B737.

FNPT2s may have a motion system, but it is not required for certification and of course it does push up the purchase price of the device.