PDA

View Full Version : getting back on the horse

shaftmaster
2nd Jun 2005, 11:57
Its been over 18 months since i was last in the flying game and now after pouring beers around the world im ready to get back into it, I have 2000+ hours total and about half that twin but nothing currrent, just wondering if anyone done the same thing before and if they had many troubles.

Cheers:ok:

john_tullamarine
2nd Jun 2005, 23:24
People go back to flying after a break of 10 years or more without any great problems .. just takes a bit of retraining to get an acceptable level of polish back.

I went back to 727 after a break of about 13-14 years and without any flying in the previous several years .. first sim was a bit sweaty .. but by the end of the second it was just like I'd been away on a month's leave.

Don't worry too much .. get the head into the books so that you know the bookwork before you see the bird .. a few hours and you will be back up to speed.

Laikim Liklik Susu
3rd Jun 2005, 00:29
I had a forced break of 10 years.

First flight back was like putting on your favourite shoe, and I remembered EVERYTHING required. You really never loose it. In fact, I think I was even better than before.

The required 2 hour recency / renewal flight was NOT needed with me, as it ALL came back to me without having to be retrained! I only did 0.5! So, legally, we'll have to do 1.5 more dual to make it up!!!

JUST DO IT!!!

Iamsureyouwillagree
3rd Jun 2005, 01:14
Recently got back on after a break of 8 1/2 years.

Like riding a bike - but I haven't tried any tricky stuff yet (Partial Panel IFR and the like).

But the fundamentals of aircraft handling seem to stay with you as others have suggested.

Found I enjoyed it too!

tinpis
3rd Jun 2005, 01:18
The hardest bit is telling yourself you really want to do it again.
I got in a Cessna 180 after never having flown one for 20 odd years and nothing at all for 5 or 6 years and flew it like i had just stepped out of it the day before.
Havent flown since that was nearly ten years ago:p

philr
3rd Jun 2005, 11:19
I thought after about 5000 hours of various GA I'd left it for ever....but occasionally when a Baron is overhead on finals for RW 18 I think...hmmm that would be nice!

Haven't shown weakness yet...

A old TL pilot type once said to me whilst we queued for the Tindal refueller ...you are giving up flying? it's hard to get it out of your system ( and he went to fly rotary wing SAR).

Perhaps he was correct...when was that class 1 due?

QSK?
3rd Jun 2005, 12:14
I came back after an absence of 25 years.

Only needed 8 hours to get proficient again - and then went on to get my MEIR, which I didn't have previously. I'm old and slow - so a young guy like you who has only been away for 18 months and had many more hours than I had when I stopped, should have no problems.

Go for it!!