PDA

View Full Version : NEMA this morning

flying_tyger
2nd Jun 2005, 11:04
I've just turned up for work at EMA this morning to find securicor all over ema with lots of police running around as well on to the main ramp - any ideas whats going on?

captplaystation
2nd Jun 2005, 12:49
Probably a crew member without a NEMA issued ID tried to go into the terminal on a turnaround to buy a magazine, or some other such-like horrendous contravention of security;oh no I'm not joking it happens.

flying_tyger
2nd Jun 2005, 13:52
tell me about it, similar things have happened to me often enought!

Fried_Chicken
2nd Jun 2005, 18:28
Possibly connected with the diversion & emergency (?) landing of a Thomsonfly B737 from Coventry, TOM don't seem to be having much luck lately!

FC

flying_tyger
2nd Jun 2005, 19:05
looks like that might fit the bill. wonder what caused that then?

NEastMidlands
2nd Jun 2005, 21:08
Its Thomsonfly, they are just doomed, I think is some kind of resistance undercover to change the name back to Britannia.

twostroke
2nd Jun 2005, 21:41
Any more info on the 'incident'?

flying_tyger
3rd Jun 2005, 12:47
not as far as i know, but there was another emergency landing this morning as well. its all go up here!

almost professional
3rd Jun 2005, 14:56
was a coventry bound B737 with unsafe gear indication-did not want/could not land at EGBE so decided to see if it could block our runway instead! begs the question why it did not go to Doncaster

flying_tyger
3rd Jun 2005, 15:15
do we know what thompson aircraft it was? thoc or thod?

almost professional
3rd Jun 2005, 15:16
thought it was B but will stand corrected

AirSurfer
3rd Jun 2005, 15:32
apparently it was Often Broken for a change that aircraft needs sending back to where it came from and never allow it to see the light of day again

tightcircuit
3rd Jun 2005, 15:45
Almost,

Ponder for a moment on the amount of fuel he may have had remaining, the extra distance to Doncaster and the fact that he probably left his gear down once the fault was apparent. I am sure you will soon come to the fully professional conclusion that flying past EMA would not be a sensible idea.;)

almost professional
3rd Jun 2005, 16:38
accepted-but then why not Brum?

Skypartners
3rd Jun 2005, 16:57
I believe they ended up in Norwich because that's where KLM fix these things!

almost professional
3rd Jun 2005, 17:36
was still on the apron at EMA yesterday PM-booked to do a circuit detail this morning

tightcircuit
3rd Jun 2005, 17:37
Almost,

Yes a good point, BHX is a little closer but if it was me I think I would choose EMA too. The runways are much better and usually more in to wind.

Fried_Chicken
3rd Jun 2005, 18:52
It did a few circuits at East Mids today & then ambled across to Norwich & can confirm it was 'OB.

East Mids has a longer runway than Birmingham & I believe wind direction was also a factor

FC

FEBA
3rd Jun 2005, 19:12
This is interesting

The runways are much better and usually more in to wind.

They only have one RWY, Have they built another which they are able to point into wind?

Daysleeper
3rd Jun 2005, 19:26
East Mids runway points roughly East/West which is nicely into the prevailing wind in the UK

Birminghams points roughly North/South which is nicely at right angles to it.

almost professional
3rd Jun 2005, 19:52
to be pedantic we have two runways at EMA-09/27-but only one bit of concrete(tarmac actually!)

tightcircuit
3rd Jun 2005, 22:59
FEBA,

As Almost has already pointed out it may be the same bit of tarmac but 27 and 09 are different runways. As for the other part of your comment, well anyone who doesn't know the prevailing wind direction in the UK really shouldn't be posting here anyway. Of what value exactly was you contribution?

Skid_Mark
4th Jun 2005, 09:35
Sadly, posts like the one from FEBA are the reason that PPRuNe is no longer the attraction that it used to be to professional pilots.

Sorry to see 'OB' being criticised for lack of reliabilty - as G-MSKB at Maersk, it was a nice machine. Look after an aeroplane, and it will look after you. We'll have to blame the Vikings for that then.

Arkroyal
4th Jun 2005, 13:04
G-INFO has its last reg as N928CT.

Was it the Maersk aircraft?

G-THOD certainly had one or two u/c probs in a former life.

chiglet
4th Jun 2005, 18:08
EGBB/BHX/Brum has TWO runways [for the "pedantic" , FOUR]. They are 15/33 and 06/24. The reason for the alignment of the "Main" R/W 15/33 is "geographical". It's called the "Cheshire Gap". The prevailing westerly wind is funnelled through the Welsh Mountains and the Lower Pennines, and end up as a Southerly". Also, SouthWesterlies are affected by the Malverns, hence a "Northerly".
This is what I was told when I was an ATCA at Brum in 1970 :ok:
watp.iktch

Fried_Chicken
5th Jun 2005, 13:39
EGBB/BHX/Brum has TWO runways [for the "pedantic" , FOUR]. They are 15/33 and 06/24.

Although, currently 06/24 is currently closed & when it is open (if it ever does reopen!) it can only be used in daylight hours as it has blue (?) taxiway edge lighting. There is talk of its status being reduced to purely just a taxiway.

It would be a shame if the latter happens as 06/24 was useful in times of x-winds on 15/33 for smaller jets & props

FC

moist
5th Jun 2005, 16:10
Not just smaller jets/props.

I was an FO on a BAC1-11 when there were winds of 240/60kt one evening and we landed on 24 with a -500. Stopped by the intersection of 24/33.

Now that was aviation!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmoist

Fried_Chicken
16th Jun 2005, 20:37
I was an FO on a BAC1-11 when there were winds of 240/60kt one evening and we landed on 24 with a -500. Stopped by the intersection of 24/33.

Just out of interest, what were the approach procedures for 06/24. Presumably either vectors for a visual approach or a SRA.

Also, what about departure as there are no SIDs for 06/24

MTIA
Fried Chicken

Aerial Anarchist
28th Jun 2005, 20:51
Still run by yellow jacketed politically correct zob's - you walk into arrivals from the long trek airside to be confronted by a huge sign telling you to watch your speed whilst driving in the UK, all so typical of the EMA management and our total nanny state.

AA:E

almost professional
28th Jun 2005, 21:01
I doubt that the sign has anything to do with our management-more likely put up and paid for by DETR, just like the keep left signs as you leave the airport

helicopter-redeye
1st Jul 2005, 16:01
If NEMA WAS closed - where do you think those "all night" freight flights might go? BHX perhaps?

Probably to "Rossington International" at Doncaster. If you want to see yellow jackets, go there .... (very spooky place...)