PDA

View Full Version : Tim Collins on Radio 2

TD&H
1st Jun 2005, 17:38
Bit late to warn, but knowing how his briefing speech was well received he's on BBC Radio 2 1830 Wednesday 1 June 05, too late to listen live for most, but you might wish to listen again via the website.

Echo 5
1st Jun 2005, 18:41
Just watched the programme on BBC TV. What an absolute waste of a fine Leader. Another individual badly let down by the Establishment. Come judgement day there will be a few politicians and their lackies in MOD cr@pping themselves.

Tourist
1st Jun 2005, 19:47
Great at his job, and writes a great speech, but I hear that he is a total swinger to work for.

MrBernoulli
1st Jun 2005, 19:48
I agree. Saw the TV show and he struck me as a very articulate and fine officer. Trust the MOD to screw the pooch and lose this guy.

PLovett
1st Jun 2005, 22:41
Currently reading his book "Rules of Engagement".

Very interesting and very funny in places. I suspect that his particular wit and style was wasted on the MOD.:ugh:

whiz
2nd Jun 2005, 09:44
Similar thread running here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=17018/)
various reports as to his conduct/demeanour and one guy actually hinting that 'the speech' may have been written by the embedded Daily Mail reporter :eek:

PLovett
3rd Jun 2005, 06:22
whiz

Having now finished the book I doubt that the speech was ghost written unless the writer was extremely good at picking up the style and intonation of Collins.

What I'm getting at is the style of writing and expression used in the book is the same as that used in his speech to his troops.

TD&H
3rd Jun 2005, 16:37
Whiz:

Seem to remember hearing Collins say something like it was an extemporised speech and the only way it became common knowledge was that the Daily Mail correspondent had written it down shorthand as he said it. That could explain the association of the Mail with the speech.

Collins may not have been the most popular of leaders, but can you imagine what would be thought of Winston Churchill in this modern PC world?!

Jordan D
3rd Jun 2005, 16:42
He's really publcising the book - he was on five's news this lunchtime and on one of the other shows as well today.

Jordan

MightyGem
5th Jun 2005, 09:39
may have been written by the embedded Daily Mail reporter
Listening to his interview on Radio 2, his speech was totally off the cuff. The reference to the Daily Mail reporter, was that her shorthand notes of his speech, as he gave it, are the only record of it that was taken on the day as there were no cameras/microphones on at the time.

Thud_and_Blunder
6th Jun 2005, 12:29
So it was either written by the DM hack, or written down then written up by her - right? I think the whole rumour-mill should be written off/ given the last rites.

teeteringhead
6th Jun 2005, 13:02
Shouldn't that be the last "writes".........;)