PDA

View Full Version : No DSL signal?

joe2812
1st Jun 2005, 12:46
My AOL broadband modem's DSL light is flashing and the diagnostic tool says its 'TRAINING'... as such I can't connect to Broadband (woo, go dial-up!). Been doing it for 2 days now.

Any ideas why this is?

Any info you need just ask!

Muchly ta... Joe

Stoney X
1st Jun 2005, 13:53
What do AOL say?

Lost_luggage34
1st Jun 2005, 14:17
Basically means that your DSL modem is not seeing anything at the other end of the 'phone line.

More than likely a 'physical' problem - I.e. faulty cabling, line fault. microfilter problem or even being disconnected at the exchange.

If the AOL diagnostics tell you it is 'training' it is basically hunting for a signal but can't find one. That suggests that the modem itself is OK - the symptoms you describe are very unlikely to be caused by a modem fault.

Need to report it to AOL even if the line is provided by BT.

Cornish Jack
1st Jun 2005, 16:41
Mine does this all the time. The model is the BT 105. It drops out so often that I've extracted the drivers from the AOL installation CD and put a shortcut on the desktop. If I switch on and the taskbar comes up with red arrows for the modem, just click on the shortcut and go through the setup, overwriting the installed drivers. When the "connect the blue cable"prompt comes up, just unplug and re-plug the usb coupler and continue with the process. It eventually goes into training mode and then it's back to normal - for a while:mad:
Handily, you don't have to do a restart to complete the procedure:ok:

jimgriff
1st Jun 2005, 18:31
Mine did that. Turned outto be the microfilters. AOL sent me a bunch of new ones.
Not AOL's fault and a friendly BT engineer tells me it happens all the time with all ISP's.

joe2812
2nd Jun 2005, 08:48
Thanks for the replies everyone...

Just phoned AOL, turns out our phone line has been disconnected from the Broadband network, and they have no idea why.

It'll take 14 days to have the phone line put right and i'll get to use their wonderful dial-up during that period.

At least I think thats what he said, hard to make sense of those Indian call-centres :mad:

Roll on BT Broadband! :}

Lost_luggage34
2nd Jun 2005, 10:32
No doubt the little chap/chapess down at the exchange commissioning a new ADSL line decided to give yours away.

Happens frequently !

amanoffewwords
2nd Jun 2005, 11:12
Once BT disconnected my main telephone line because they needed it to connect someone else (they actually told me that!!!).

I was truly shocked - first time I ever came across incompetence from BT staff, as LL_34 well knows... :rolleyes:

Lost_luggage34
14th Jun 2005, 05:34
Hmmm - no doubt 14 days for the paperwork and 10 minutes to re-jumper at the exchange.

This confirms my lack of desire to return to BT despite what they offer me in order 'to come back' !

Recently looked into what Bulldog had to offer as they apparently offer their own 'phone line with an ADSL offering of potentially 8M.

Contract is up with my cable company now - seemed like a good idea.

After much investigation through their dubious marketing via their website, it seems that my exchange does not house any dedicated Bulldog equipment. Therefore, I have to have a BT line and can only have up to 2M.

Very odd, considering I commissioned the Bulldog equipment only 2 months ago at said exchange.

Looks like I shall have to remain with cable. Very happy with the performance & reliability. The pricing is somewhat questionable even with download caps vs. other providers.

Charles any thoughts ?

OzPax1
14th Jun 2005, 19:55
If you have connection or speed prblems problems with ADSL and your line is with BT ask your ISP to 'WOOSH' tests. This will usually identify if the problem is in the exchange or is a line fault. My experience (working for an educational ISP) is that 80% of adsl problems are line related. Also with 300+ ADSL schools on our network ADSL is VERY reliable, but when a problem hits a connection it can sometimes be very hard to pin down where the problem is. It has in the past taken us up tp 4 weeks and 5 BT engineer visits to sort out a problem.

My advice is keep pushing and br patient! ;)

Evo
15th Jun 2005, 06:57
It has in the past taken us up tp 4 weeks and 5 BT engineer visits to sort out a problem.

My advice is keep pushing and br patient!

I'm having this at the moment - getting regular dropouts on my home connection, which last until I raise a support call with Pipex, who prod BT, who fiddle with it. The problem goes away, but a few days later it's back.

Still, by the sounds of it I only have one week and one visit to go... :{