PDA

View Full Version : Convergency/Rhumb lines etc.

flyingdogguitar
31st May 2005, 20:57
Hi folks,
In the ATPL examinations, what are the requirements for knowledge of Transverse & Oblique Mercators/Polar stereographics. Are you supposed to have an intimate knowledge of these projections i.e. which way Rhumb lines/Great circles are orientated etc etc etc?
What is the general content of the Nav exam. Does it tend to be more wizz wheel stuff?

Many Thanks

Dave

The96er
31st May 2005, 23:06
Hi Flyingdogguitar, I sat the May Gnav exam, and I can say that it is reasonable to expect 15 - 20 questions requiring the use of the wizz-wheel. As for Rhumb line, C.A type calculation questions, you can expect maybe a few of those's, although none appeared in my exam. The rest of the questions are made up of straight worded questions on maps, charts with a few IRS/INS thrown in to boot, Also expect at least 2-4 P.E.T and P.S.R type questions, these are the big boys, some being 4 marks each.

I hope this helps

The96er

OneIn60rule
31st May 2005, 23:41
You can get 15-20 questions on the CRP-5 but not every time. As an example my friend did his Gnav a while back and he didn't get much more than 5 question on the CRP-5, instead he recieved more formula type questions than usual (what's the distance from X to Y bearing in mind X and Y are given in latitude and longitude).

Every wizz wheel question I got on my exam was worth two marks, every formula question except the PET and PSR was worth 2 marks, definitions were worth I think 1 mark.

You should be able to do everything on your wizzwheel and be especially good in shuffling, remember how the T-V-M-D-C works, it uses TRUE heading and NOT true track or true course. It's easy to get this one wrong or a number of them if you've never done some practice tests.

The chart question, based on the Elo 1/2 are very simple but again you can get a fair share of them wrong if you don't READ the question. The trick for the CAA is to ask you what the INITIAL track is or the INITIAL magnetic track and so on. If the answer you calculated seems 1-2 degrees off the answers you are able to select then you may have read the question incorrectly. (as before mentioned: INITIAL, AVERAGE, MAG, TRUE average, Mag average.

Oh let's not forget the NAV log on the very BACK of the exam. Some people actually thought they had to fill in the ENTIRE nav log to be able to answer the question. If you see a nav log question, read it AGAIN.

If you know everything stated in the above posts you should be able to pass with flying colours.

Above all else: DO NOT GET RUSTY ON YOUR WIZZ WHEEL!
Three weeks of no play with the CRP-5 will make you sluggish.

The best of luck to you!

1/60