PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flt Sim in flt schools

Left Wing
31st May 2005, 13:00
How many flt school use MS Flt sims with add on's such as yoke etc to create a cheap FTD.

Are there any schools doing this, just to help students get a "feel" and get them used to instrument procedures etc.

cheers

too_sleepy
31st May 2005, 14:58
Hi
I've heard of one of two places that have used it in the past.
The license agreement would probably consider this activity a breach:

This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is for entertainment purposes only and shall not be used for training purposes.

Rental. You may not rent, lease, or lend the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

I know of a lot of companies that resell and re-engineer Flight Sim. They then sell a Simulator system includung hardware that runs on Flight Sim, all completely illegal.

But no one gets hurt so it's not really a problem.

AMiller
31st May 2005, 17:09
too_sleepy

and your sad enough to write the license agreement down?

give me a break

Left Wing
1st Jun 2005, 10:41
I am keen on tech part of it not legal.

BillieBob
1st Jun 2005, 11:44
The fact that no professional school uses Microsoft Flight Sim says much about its value as a training aid.

too_sleepy
1st Jun 2005, 12:10
Ye, I am that sad. My clubs aircraft is out of service for a month so I'm left with Flight Sim and yes, reading the license agreement.

Anyway, for anyone that's interested or who is also grounded for a while there are other reasons why Flight Sim cannot be used as a training aid. MS have agreements with lots of companies that provide services and data for Flight Sim. These other companies are also involved in professional flight sims and have contracts with MS protecting their other interests from Flight Sim. Natural I suppose.

There is an RAF heli centre in the UK that uses Flight Sim and the incredible Visual Scenery of the UK to familiarise new heli students to the area. The last I heard they run about 12 or so sims.
British Airways also use Flight Sim in their travelling PR sim. It's a static and old 737 sim but it does the job, quite nice to have this in your sitting room.

The AlSim group (http://www.alsim.com/) now offer a soplution using Flight Sim. Although the Flight Sim version cannot be certified (BITD FNPT).

There's a BITD for helis in Weston, Ireland. This uses Flight Sim and some other add on software. It's the only approved sim I've come accross that uses Flight Sim.

Althought Flight Sim might not be quite the same as some of the software schools use, for 50 quid it's pretty good value for money.