PDA

View Full Version : Flying At Bournemouth/Southampton

ghandou
31st May 2005, 11:29
Hi People,

I need a little help in trying to determine whether anyone knows of a decent flying school around the south coast (preferably as close to Southampton as possible) that runs either a modulated or integrated ATPL course. I know that CabAir uses the Bournemouth facility but I'm not sure how much of their training is done at Cranfield. Can anyone help?:D

18greens
31st May 2005, 11:46
You could call them to find out.

Bournemouth airport has excellent facilities (24 hour, ILS/NDB approaches on both main runways) so no reason to go elsewhere for training. Take some time out and visit the schools, look at BCFT and PAT as well, talk to the students and make your own mind up which suits you best.

As always (caveat emptor) don't pay up front, a decent school would never ask you to. The good feeling of the 5% discount will soon be forgotten if the school goes into receivership.

Good luck.

Low-Pass
1st Jun 2005, 09:24
Take notice of 18greens' post. A friend of mine lost 600 quid when SFT Aviation went under :( He knew someone who lost 6000! :eek: I believe that the owners/directors are still about...with a different company of course. Beware!

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jun 2005, 10:31
You might do worse than go a little way up the road to Old Sarum (Salisbury) which is about half an hour's drive from Southampton, and will avoid the cost and nauseum of learning at a big airport that isn't all that little-aeroplane friendly.

That said, there may well be some excellent schools at Eastleigh or Hurn, it's just my experience that for most training a relatively quiet airfield with nothing but light aircraft is usually cheapest and most painless. (Plus, I happen to believe that Old Sarum is a very good school.)

G

ghandou
1st Jun 2005, 11:07
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your replies, I will defintely give them all a good run down. Please keep 'em coming!

BillieBob
1st Jun 2005, 11:40
Genghis - RTFQ! Which school at Old Sarum runs "either a modular or integrated ATPL course"?

Ghandou - Cabair (Bournemouth) operates as a separate school to Cabair (Cranfield), although they are part of the same Organisation and have the same Head of Training. AFAIK, if you enrol at Bournemouth none of your training is done at Cranfield. The only other school around there that offers a complete ATPL course (i.e. CPL(A), MEP, MCC and ATPL Theoretical Knowledge) is CTC but they do a lot of their flying in New Zealand and their theoretical knowledge is sub-contracted to BGS as distance learning.

You will be able to complete some, but not all, modules at Bournemouth with the likes of BCFT, PAT, MCT, etc.

tribekey
1st Jun 2005, 12:17
You can do all the training you need at Bournemouth, it is extremely busy on occasions and you will find you are mixed up amongst all aircraft types- but isn't that a good thing?
Bournemouth is not 24 hour - it operates from 0630 local - 2130 local ,7 days a week. Any flights ourside those times are contracted to do mail or are late arriving passenger flights. Instrument training flights generally operate from 0800 (ish) to 2000(ish). Relevant schools are listed in other posts, just call them and see!

Squawk 2650
1st Jun 2005, 13:16
Old Sarum do both the CPL and IR course!! Well worth a visit I def. recommend them! Give them a call and pop down for a visit!!

Good Luck with it all,

S
:cool:

Send Clowns
1st Jun 2005, 15:04
Billibob

Can I ask where you got your information? It is incorrect.

At BCFT (http://www.bournemouthcommercialflighttraining.co.uk/) we offer all the courses from zero to frozen ATPL. Flying we offer PPL, hour building, MEP, IMC, night, CPL, MEIR all in Bournemouth, even on up through FI to IRI if so inclined! Groundschool can be distance learning or in the classroom. In fact we offer the widest range of courses on the airport, if not in the country!

CTC is probably irrelevant as they do not take on self-selected, self-funding students.

Low-Pass

I agree. Was working for SFT, lost £2800 (an MCC) as well as my job. I know people who lost well over £10,000, the maximum confirmed was £19,000. Avoid paying up front. When you land, have had your debrief and can log the time, pay the bill!

Best of luck, all, in getting your licences!

portsharbourflyer
1st Jun 2005, 19:27
Also remember the Pilot Training College/Examiner Training Agency at Bournemouth. I did my IR at PTC last summer, gained a full first time pass. If you are looking for training at Bournemouth then this place is seriously worth considering.

Bournemouth may be busy but it is where the CAA test centre is located, always an advantage if you only have to taxy to the test centre rather fly a positioning flight prior to your test.

Tim_donovan
1st Jun 2005, 19:44
Well what can I say,

Lets start with BCFT I had a run in with Send the Clowns last year and we managed to sort out our differences. So much so that when I completed my groundschool with EPTA I looked elsewhere for the flying training including BCFT.

EPTA screwed me because I decided to withdraw my training from them. This was due to the lack of serviceable Aircraft. However the groundschool was first class Keith and the team are great.

This made me look at all the flying training schools at Bournemouth PAT, BCFT, and the other which I can't remember the name of at present.

All of them looked good including EPTA (bloody Joke) I decided on PAT which was excellant. I would like to comment on BCFT on the flying but can't sadly. They are on the other hand top notch on the helpfull front. (Someone who has done the training with them should pass comment - Maybe Sc**t who now flies with BMI should comment!! Good sign)

Don't forget to look at Bristol Groundschool as well.

If you decide PAT watch out for that crazy dog world known for sandwich eating.

TTFN:ok:

Nakata77
2nd Jun 2005, 08:18
i can't think of a better place than Bournemouth for your training. Not only do you have golden sandy beaches 15 mins from the airport but the airport itself is a great learning ground for flying with all aircraft types (B747 to Islander)

Nice flaps
2nd Jun 2005, 09:23
I have colleagues that trained with both BCFT and PAT and highly recommend them both. I also agree with tribekey and Nakata77: mixing it with commercial traffic at a busy airport is advantageous if your aim is to be a professional pilot, as long as it doesn't result in you being frequently held.
I trained with Flightpass at Exeter www.flightpass.co.uk who were top notch, but I guess that Bournemouth is more suitable geographically for you. Regards,

NF

Send Clowns
2nd Jun 2005, 21:53
:oh: I don't remember any big run in with Mr Donovan - I try to avoid any contention outside of politics (reserve my love of debate for that :E ). Sorry if I ever caused offence, Tim! Glad you feel any differences were sorted :)

Don't forget the Vampires, Venoms and Vixen, Nakata :D

rymes
21st Jun 2005, 13:03
what ever you do dont trust epta they are a bunch of used car salesman. they will lie in order to sell you a course. check out all the things that have been written about sft as they are all the same people running the company still. i know many people including myself that have been ripped off by them some for as much as 17000 pounds. suggest you find a different school to this one!!!!!!!!!!