PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood Festival of Speed

G-AZUK
31st May 2005, 11:26
Struggling to find the right forum, this will do for starters,

visiting the FOS for the first time this year on the Saturday, any ideas as to the airshow content, also as I'm taking the kids along, any tips for best places to head to get a good view of the action on the track, and presume the traffic in/out is a nightmare as with any other event on this scale, any tips there?

cheers:ok:

treadigraph
31st May 2005, 11:34
I'm planning on going, but will get a train to Chichester and walk from there - it's about two miles I reckon, so would depend on how old your kids are. There might be a bus from the station I suppose...

No tips on viewing - it's my first FOS as well!

Airshow usually seem to include OFMS and TFC fighters plus a few other bits as I recall from the mags...

jammydonut
31st May 2005, 11:49
Why not just look at the web page programme

beamer
31st May 2005, 12:03
Absolute bedlam nowadays - friday used to be quiet but no longer - your day Saturday VERY crowded.

Aviation - forget it, a few flypasts but people are here for the cars - you might see the Reds (yawn) but concentrate on the four wheeled action.

Track - unless you have a grandstand seat it can get very crowded at the bottom of the hill close to the House - try further up away from the paddock area.

Food - take drinks and sandwiches - there are plenty of stalls for refreshment but expensive and long queues.

IN n' OUT - Try and get there before nine, still plenty to see and do. Leave before five - this will not avoid the congestion but will help.

Overall - still a GREAT day out but too busy nowadays and far too many Formula One teams which brings in F1 petrolheads. Lots of opportunities for kids to get autographs but beware being pushed around by professional dealers !

Enjoy

treadigraph
31st May 2005, 12:11
My mistake - I was thinking of the "Revival" meeting at Goodwod circuit!

Bearcat
31st May 2005, 15:25
Ehh...Beamer you were obviously horsing down Dom P in some private tent when the airshow was on. I was there last year to witness a spectacular display of a SAA B744. But your spot on, it's the cars one goes to see primarily. To see F1 roaring up the avenue is a sight to remember.

The show last year was'nt great as the track was slippery so the drivers were'nt giving it the full welly.

I've been at it 3 years in a row, flew into it last year. For a first timer it is fantastic....enjoy. Traffic is painful. If I had no end to cash I'd get a chopper to fly me in and out other wise we tented there last year and it was a hoot. Threw the tent in a skip on leaving....that's another story!!

beamer
31st May 2005, 16:54
Whilst we are on the subject - the Revival meeting in September is equally good though very different in theme and content. If anyone is in anydoubt - the FESTIVAL (june) is a motoring garden party in the grounds of Goodwood House incorporating high speed demonstration runs in the manner of a hillclimb. The REVIVAL meanwhile (sept) is a fullblown once a year race meeting for pre-1966 cars on the old Goodwood circuit which uses the perimeter track at the airfield. Both events have become rather too popular for real comfort and some enthusiasts are now beginning to shy away particuarly from the sunday of each event.

As we are on Pprune - the Festival will have some aviation displays such as Tornado, Harrier, Reds, BoB flt etc. The Revival will feature vintage aircraft most of which will be based at the airfield for the weekend allowing Ray Hanna to pose amongst the racing drivers !

nb - I believe that both events are 'ticket only' this year with no opportunity to pay on the gate.

nb 2 - If wife or girlfriend interested - George Clooney will be at the revival in June......................

G-AZUK
25th Jun 2005, 19:42
Just returned from a fantastic day out, took all your advice, breezed in at 0830 with no queues, had a quick mooch round the paddocks straight away, then tabbed up the hill to crossing 6 just past the flint wall and bagged an uninterrupted view for seeing them roar up the hill, no need for a grandstand ticket.

The f1 boys stole the show but good mix of cars and bikes and excellent day out overall.

on the aviation front, Shame the tonka didnt show, and the kids loved finding a Wokka hiding in the trees!

cheers again