PDA

View Full Version : Converting restricted FAA cert

tango111
31st May 2005, 10:19
Hi

Im wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any complications with converting a FAA CPL/IR if the holder does not have a FAA PPL ie: I was issued with a restricted FAA ppl on the basis of my JAR PPL and then added a FAA IR to it and now hoping to do the FAA CPL witout ever doing the original PPL.
Of coures the simple answer is to do the PPL but I am just trying to avoid another test and fee.

Also is it advisable to do the FAA CPL multi rating as part of the CPL or just do the JAR multi rating when converting.

Thank You

johnnypick
31st May 2005, 11:25
I'm pretty sure you can do the CPL checkride with a restricted FAA PPL/IR, I did it a couple of years ago, but they may have changed the rules since then.

Julian
31st May 2005, 11:33
Tango,

You dont have to do the FAA PPL, you can go for the FAA CPL as long you meet the other requirements. I did the same thing, got an FAA PPL on the back of my JAA, did the IR, then the CPL in the ME. Added the CPL Single engine and then got the ME IR added.

I did however find myself in the weird position of not being able to fly SE once I got the CPL ME as according to the FAA the reciprical agreement does not apply once you get a professional licence. Hence once I got the CPL ME my PPL SE privledges were no longer valid and whilst I could fly around in multis I had to wait until I got my CPL SE until I could fly them again.

My training provider got caught out as he had not had a student request to do his initial CPL in a multi before so he learnt from the experience as well - so watch out if you go this route!

Julian

Charlie Zulu
31st May 2005, 13:46
It is the way I obtained my FAA CPL/IR SE ME.

Obtained an FAA PPL on the basis of my CAA PPL. Added an IR to the FAA PPL. Four days later converted the FAA PPL/IR to a full FAA CPL/IR SE without ever doing the FAA PPL checkride / written.

Went back last year to add an ME IR to the FAA CPL/IR.