PDA

View Full Version : Best Training Schools

97robem
30th May 2005, 19:21
Hi Lads and gals

I have been looking at all the different flight schools that are on offer but i am still non the wiser regarding who to apply to. I have looked into Stapleford with Astraeus, SFC, OAT, CCT Cabair to name but a few. I am seriously looking at going to either Stapleford or SFC, all being well that i pass their selection phases.
Could anyone give me any advice ,either be it what they have heard or if they have been there, regarding which centre is the best to train me ab initio up to FATPL standard. I really need help because i dont know where to go from here.
Which training schools do airlines look upon with the most respect. Heard OAT are just after you for the money and as soon as you have paid they're not that interested. any advice would be great. got a levels in maths chemistry and physics grades ADB respectively, but have deferred entry to uni to persue my life long dream. PLEASE HELP LADS/GALS
Cheers:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Alex Whittingham
30th May 2005, 19:43
I'm assuming here you are looking for a quick course and the best chance of employment and do not have to consider things like supporting a family. If that is the case you need an integrated or structured modular course, ideally with a cast iron link to employment. There's only one scheme that really gives you that, the CTC Wings scheme. If you meet the criteria, apply.

In parallel with that consider integrated courses with Flight Training Europe, OAT and Cabair - they are all of a similar high standard and all have similar sorts of deals with airlines. The funding on these courses is more obviously down to you, the connections with the airlines less concrete.

If you need to stay in work while you are training go modular. Modular courses do not have the 'airline connections' trumpeted by the integrated schools but, nevertheless, produce a steady stream of competent pilots that quietly find employment. The costs of modular training are considerably lower. Stapleford, Multiflight and Aeros do reasonable 'structured modular' courses that take the strain of decision making away from you.

I'm not quite sure who SFC are. Do you mean Sussex Flying Club at Shoreham?

97robem
30th May 2005, 22:34
Thanks for your advice, i appreciate it. SFC is Stapleford Flying Centre, they offer a course in conjunction with Astraeus. Are you currently a pilot with a Airline or are you undergoing your training at present, if so where at?

i dont need to support a family, and am really only interested in integrated courses as i want to achieve my aspirations asap.

Anyone else have any advice or recommendations?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused

cheers again.

Alex Whittingham
31st May 2005, 07:13
I run a modular groundschool. I supply groundschool to CTC and Multiflight amongst the above, the other schools are my competitors.

FatFlyer
31st May 2005, 07:44
Good advice from Mr Wittingham, he did not recommend his own groundschool at Bristol which is excellent.
Oxford and FTE(Jerez) are well respected by airlines, some of which prefer the formalised integrated course.
Lots of airlines also respect the modular training, it depends who is doing their recruiting.
Stapleford has a good reputation, and should be getting brand new Diamond twins soon. You don't have to do the whole 737 course with Astraeus, it works for some people and not for others.

Dutchie
31st May 2005, 08:25
My I suggest Alex his groundschool? It is a great course and they know what they are doing. Another thumbs up is PAT in Bournemouth if you want to go modular.:ok:

Simon_Sez
31st May 2005, 09:50
Just started ATPL's with Bristol and can't fault them. Doing my flight training with The Pilot Training College of Ireland, a structured modular course, excellent school with increasing number of students going to Aer Arann, Air Asia and Ryanair.

I agree with what Alex Whittingham from BGS said about trying CTC. www.ctcaviation.com/wings great scheme if you can get in.
Have a look at.....is it BMI that do a part sponsorship? Maybe someone can clarify that.

Shop around and try not to get too stressed by all the options.

Regards,

Simon.

97robem
31st May 2005, 11:31
Hi, its me again

still confused but still leaning towards FTE , although there integrated course information doesn't mention anything about a MCC included within the course. Can anyone shed any light on what licences you would get if you followed their integrated course, would this be enough to gain employment in this day and age?

Blinkz
31st May 2005, 11:45
97robem, not sure where your looking but on the FTE website it clearly states that the course includes MCC.

Simon_Sez
31st May 2005, 12:16
Getting a job in this day and age isn't impossible. It's very difficult to say with certainty (as we all know on this site!) that any one school can guarantee employment. FTE are great from what I've heard, but if you're a **** (not saying you are), then you can spend all the cash on all the MCC and Type Ratings you want and still not get a job cos no pilot could ever spend more than 5 seconds alone in a cockpit with you....getting the qualification and being recognised as a competent pilot is only part of that battle....it's selling yourself that's the tough bit....like most jobs...

Personally, I decided on my flight school going by what other students said, by their quality of training compared to the price and also whether they had a good reputation within the industry as a whole. I suggest you do what suits you and at this stage don't worry about the job end of the market til your MCC when you can impress the pants of the Training Captain sitting behind you...

97robem
31st May 2005, 13:27
thanks for the advice.

just out of interest where did you study simon?

Boeing737
31st May 2005, 15:50
simon, where are you residing in waterford?Is it B&B or what?im starting my ppl in the next week or 2 in dublin , then will be heading down to PTC (hopefully) at a later stage for the cpl/ir.How much is accomodation roughly?do the school run any type of arrangements?
Many thanks

97robem
1st Jun 2005, 11:17
HI guys,

Has anyone here studied, or is studying at FTE doing theire integrated course, any feedback on the school at the courses would be great. cheers lads

Simon_Sez
1st Jun 2005, 13:22
97robem - I'm currently studying at The Pilot Training College of Ireland (PTC). Based in Waterford in the south east of Ireland.

Boeing737 - I'm currently moving house now as accomodation during the summer in Dunmore East and Tramore skyrockets up to EUR600-EUR850 per week...yes, I did say PER WEEK.
From September-June prices are quite reasonable at EUR600--700 per month.
PTC don't fully arrange accomodation but they have a standard list of houses and B & B's that students have used in the past. In October there are talks of them buying a student house but this is tbc.
Presuming you're doing your PPL at Weston? Am...good luck with that one... :}

Simon.

Boeing737
2nd Jun 2005, 11:42
yeah weston it is.i figured it would cost the same to do it here, considering the overheads associated with heading to the states ( flights, visas, accomodation, spending money and possible return trips to the us to finish off if i dont get it done in the 4 weeks).although it will take longer to do it in ireland, im not that bothered as i have just finished a very tough 4 year degree and i feel like spreading my ppl training over a few months, so happy days. Thanks for the help mate. i will be looking into ptc after the ppl. Do they do a distance learning atpl?will i need to head down to waterford if i wanna do my atpl with them?thanks again! if you want i can pm you?
Regards