PDA

View Full Version : Looking for short exchange with a NZ Air Traffic Assistant?

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
30th May 2005, 16:43
As above really, not sure if this is in the correct section, so mods feel free to move it.

I visited NZ in January of this year, and I love the country so so much! I am thinking of moving over, and would like to have more experience of working in the country before making such a big decision.

I am an FOA currently stationed at an RAF base in central England.

This would be an ideal opportunity for anybody in the same trade in the NZ air force to sample the life of an assistant in the UK.

I will, subject to interest, explore this further, and find out exactly how to go about carrying this out.

Any controllers reading this, if you could ask around the assistants in your section, and let them know of my offer.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Sqwark2000
31st May 2005, 22:30
Enigma,

The RNZAF does not employ ATCo's. The Military Towers are manned by Airways Corporation Controllers (civvies) who can choose to join the Territorial Air Force whilst they are based at a RNZAF base, they hold honorary commissions but rarely wear a uniform.

The only "assistants" I know of in the Airways setup are Flight Data Officers, who issue strips to the controllers, can issue clearances (I think) and enter flight arrival & departure times in the system.

Not sure if there are any at a Military field though the numbers of actually sorties the RNZAF does probably doesn't justify one.

Anyway if you are looking for a RNZAF/RAF exchange then you will probably find it difficult as there is no reciprical trade in the RNZAF.

Hope you find a way though,

Good Luck

S2K

The Bullwinkle
1st Jun 2005, 05:49
RAAF also does not have Assistant Air Traffic Controllers. I enquired about same when I returned to Australia in the late eighties. I was an AATC stationed at RAF Valley, and I had also completed AFISO exams so that I had a civil qualification, but this was basically worthless over here.

E-n-i-g-m-a-8-3
1st Jun 2005, 17:12
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Oh well, guess thats my idea out of the window!