PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day....for the Americans

SASless
30th May 2005, 14:49
The United States celebrates our Memorial Day today....a day we set aside to honour all of the men and women that have served in our nations military. It is a time of remembrance and for a lot of us, reflection, of the sacrifices required of our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, and Coast Guardsmen and their families.

This year's holiday takes on an increased importance as our troops are engaged in combat operations in the war against terrorism.

Take a moment to set aside your political views and offer up a prayer for those that are in Harm's Way. Many of us here at pprune have loved ones amongst that number. For those that do, pass on to your loved one the gratitude of those they protect by serving and let them know that we look forward to their safe return. Above all, remind them of how proud we are of their courage and devotion to duty they have displayed during these dangerous times.

From one old soldier and combat veteran to the latest group of war fighters....Hand Salute!

BEagle
30th May 2005, 15:49
Well written, SASless!

I very much regret having to report the following piece of Eurocratic lunacy which is a slap in the face to all those of the USAAF who fell in WW2:

"B-17 Flypast at Madingley cancelled

Eurocharges keep Sally B grounded

It is with the greatest regret that in the absence to date of an exemption to the European regulation that puts the B-17 into the weight category of an airliner, boosting its insurance by an unaffordable 500 per cent, it will not be possible for Sally B to participate in the official Memorial Day flypast over Madingley

For the past thirty years, this has been this B-17’s most important and poignant annual engagement, carried out in honour of the 79,000 Allied airmen who lost their lives fighting for our freedom in the Second World War.

We are devastated not to be able to pay tribute to all those young men, especially in this 60th Anniversary of the end of the War. The idea that the aircraft that flew to liberate Europe and now flies in honour of all those young men who gave their lives for that cause, should be put out of action by the very people who owe their freedom to its existence, simply beggars belief.

We remain hopeful that a way can be found through this illogical and unjust law, so that Sally B’s 30th Anniversary season in this country might not be her last. "

PPRuNe Pop
30th May 2005, 16:08
Since BEagle has posted the dreadful decision by the Europrats to increase Sally B's insurance by a staggering amount and, among other important dates, caused heavy hearts and sadness at Madingley because she cannot fly with such a swingeing burden of uneccessary cost, you might care to look in on the History and Nostalgia forum to get your MP to support the EDM to have this ridiculous cost removed.

Please do it. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173503)

BEagle
30th May 2005, 16:18
Idiot's guide to getting your MP to respond:

1. Go to http://www.locata.co.uk/commons/ and enter your postcode.

2. Click on the relevant e-mail link for your MP, then follow the prompts.

3. To check the current state of the Early Day Motion, go to http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28329

4. After a few days, if your MP hasn't responded, e-mail again!

Mine responded early on Sunday morning!

Disgraceful that the Eurocrats should attempt to 'shoot down' the aircraft which helped win them their liberty in this way.....

I can't imagine that the Confederate Air Force would take this lying down!

Pilgrim101
30th May 2005, 16:35
Hawk

Prayer worked for me a few times in combat - and my colleagues will tell you what a doubting Thomas and reprobate I am ! :E ;)

Anyone who's been there will tell you it's very soothing to pray with your shreddies full and your bladder empty ! :}

More seriously, already saluted SASless !

Ooops, where did you go Hawk ?

Oh there you are ! You see Hawk, I knew you were going to say that ;)

Hawk
30th May 2005, 16:36
Take a moment to set aside your political views and offer up a prayer for those that are in Harm's Way.
I wont offer a prayer, just the same, best wishes to those serving in war zones. Hopefully you all home safe soon.

SASless
30th May 2005, 17:07
Beagle,

Thank you for posting that...I completely agree with the sentiment set forth. Anyone that has any sense of history can appreciate the magnitude of the accomplishment of the airmen of that generation. Having been present when the old bombers and fighters are flying and knowing the emotion they evoke....makes it all the more a shame they are not flying in a tribute to those that did so much at such a cost.

There is more lost than just the opporunity to take some photographs when the old warbirds are not allowed to fly.

Flatus Veteranus
30th May 2005, 17:45
SASless

[Take a moment to set aside your political views and offer up a prayer for those that are in Harm's Way]

Amen

pr00ne
30th May 2005, 20:15
SASless,

Good call.

We may disagree on much, and I cannot offer a prayer as I don’t do that, but I can echo and share your sentiments and offer up my own heartfelt thanks. The USA has always been there for us and has sent its sons and daughters into grave danger on many occasions for which I and my fellow countrymen will always be grateful.

Take care all and come home safe.