PDA

View Full Version : RAF or Navy

superlukeyboy
30th May 2005, 14:11
I'm 15 and since the age of 5 I've wanted to join the RAF to fly fast jets. It was only til recently that an older friend of mine was accepted into the Royal Navy as a pilot and that set me thinking. What are the pros and cons of flying with the Navy instead of the RAF and vice versa because up until now ive never really thought about joinin the Navy. In the future i would like to fly the JSF which i could fly in either. really i just want to know if flying in the navy is a good idea or not! thanks all

joe2812
30th May 2005, 14:15
Previous thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175633)

Despite the question i'm sure you'll be cut a little bit of slack by the forums more 'senior' members!

Top right it says 'Search', choose to search only the Mil Aircrew forum for phrases such as 'OASC' (RAF selection board), 'AIB' (Navy selection board) 'Interviews' etc and see what turns up. I did a thread with a few links to previous topics which i'll go and find now.

Best of luck with it all, from another wannabe :ok:

(Edit: here is the link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166273&highlight=oasc) to the thread. It just links to more posts on common topics such as sponsorship, application processes, aptitude etc. If you question isn't covered here and you made some effort to look yourself, come back and someone more 'in the know' will no doubt offer their (un)biased opinion!)

mr.nys
30th May 2005, 20:54
Superlukeboy,

If you think you're good enough, fly navy. The problem is that if you don't get to the high navy fixed wing standards, they will put you with helicopters. The RAF has more jets, therefore you would be more likely to get FJ there even you do get average scores.

Bob Viking
30th May 2005, 22:37
Careful what you say Mr Not-so-nice.
Standards are just the same in the RAF. Single seat is single seat regardless of what uniform you wear. I don't think a young lad after impartial advice needs to hear a completely biased view of one service over the other.
If he is good enough he can make his own mind up.
BV

bakseetblatherer
30th May 2005, 23:26
slb,

I have flown in both the RN and RAF (as have quite a few guys on this forum) although admitedly I flew in the back. The FAA is a different kettle of fish to the 'fish-head' navy. The atmosphere and professionalism (which I found lacking in the RN surface fleet) is the same in both the FAA and RAF. However the real decision for you needs to be on the lifestyles surrounding the flying and the great mates you will make FAA or RAF. The RAF means you move bases more often but it is more settled and 9 to 5 (well 6 to 6!). The RN has much less bases but long times at sea (which, IMHO, sucks the big one). This won't really apply, as much, if you end up going JSF with all the lovely FAA/RAF jointery going on with it but if you end up Merlin RN it is totally a different lifestyle to Merlin RAF.

Good luck