PDA

View Full Version : Best Handheld

stagger
29th May 2005, 20:08
Palm, IPAQ, Sony?

Windows?

Any advice?

Looking to spend around £300.

I'd be particularly interested to hear about specific things to watch out for - i.e. what to avoid.

spannersatcx
29th May 2005, 21:19
Dell!Handhelds (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&id=axim_x50_416&l=en&s=dhs)

gofer
30th May 2005, 01:07
With that your Mobile can go also...

Difference is that the handhelds when they loose power usually loose the data as well - the Blackberry doesnt !

Gofer:ok:

bizflyer
2nd Jun 2005, 15:19
I have a palm T3 and a Nokia 9500 (phone with PDA) a Sony P900 (phone with PDA) and have also tinkered over the years with Psion's (remember them!) and others. The Nokia 9500 is a development if the 9210, which I also still have. Ok I am a gadget freak!! But by a long way, and I mean a very long way the Nokia 9500 is ahead, would very much recommend. Has the computing power of most PDA's, is expandable, has bluetooth, connects to wireless networks and has a 56k modem for your lap top, also boasts a proper QWERTY keyboard and a windows type interface including a word/excel etc programs. It really is the dogs testicles and makes some of the others look very silly indeed. It's above the budget you state if you buy 'off contract' but ebay might be worth a look or ask your mobile service provider how much they would charge for an upgrade to one. Some service providers will give it to you for free if you're a high call user.

WHBM
7th Jun 2005, 17:24
We've got a batch of Vodafone VPx all-purpose PDA/Pocket PC/Phone units.

Have to say we've all had a range of problems with them, generally unreliability. Several have had to go back.

Manual was great - told you how to put battery in and out on page 11, then told you not to take battery out if emergency battery was not yet fully charged (as otherwise you lose everything) on page 12. Guess who followed through the manual in the seemingly obvious page sequence !

The Vodafone support analyst seemed to have no experience of them, or even how to handle customers ! A list of questions submitted was unanswered.

Saab Dastard
7th Jun 2005, 18:16
Having been forced to accomodate the ****ing things into a secure (secret) network environment for a Government agency, my view is that the one you can throw furthest should get the nod.

Jaundiced view? Me? ...:p

SD

gizmocat
8th Jun 2005, 08:12
Take a look here :-

Good performance, good price, good reviews. (mine comes next week ;) )

Asus MyPal (http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=841&category_id=89&manufacturer_id=0)
Bests
MB