PDA

View Full Version : Turbo-prop single light aircraft?

interestedparty
29th May 2005, 10:43
Are there any of these?
A small (4 seat?) light aircraft passed over my home (in Wiltshire) recently.
Amazingly quiet and apparently fast-moving - I know these criteria can be deceptive.
Any thoughts?

Fox Alpha
29th May 2005, 10:51
Aerospatiale TBM 700 or Piper PA-46 Malibu Mirage. Both bigger than your average Cherokee though. Bolth powered by PT6 turboprops.

Some of the Rotax 912 powered kit planes such as the Europa can be super quiet and fairly quick, but a truboprop certainly has a distinctive sound over a Rotax lawnmower engine.

Telstar
29th May 2005, 10:54
Then theres the Pilatus Turbo Porter, Cessna 210 Turbine, theres a Turbine engine Beaver too. Just off the top of my head.

BigEndBob
29th May 2005, 10:58
Could be Bonanza, used to see one at Tatenhill, previously seen it or similiar at Boston,USA.

Hot Charlie
29th May 2005, 14:29
Could it have been one of Boscombe Down's Tucanos? Fits the fast moving (and relatively small) description. When was recently btw?

treadigraph
29th May 2005, 22:26
Some of the high-end homebuilts such as Lancairs have been built in the US with turbines, and I 'm sure I've seen mention of one in the UK. If so dunno if it's on a PFA permit!

Also saw a Rotax (?) powered highwinged thingummybob this morning - as Fox Alpha says, very quiet and fairly nippy and sounded a bit like a turbine. Might have been a Glastar?