PDA

View Full Version : Linux display problems

FunkyMunky
27th May 2005, 22:47
For all the resident gurus out there....

I'm having some problems with Mandriva 2005 LE and the nvidia display drivers.

Initially they worked ok, but then I made some changes to my xorg.conf in order to get TwinView working. I did the usual, ctrl_alt_backspace, startx to restart the x server and it all worked, but on the next reboot, it all went ***s up. The system appears to boot ok, indeed when in runlevel 3 it goes to the terminal perfectly...no errors at all. When I try to start X however, the screen goes black and just sits there before a couple of minutes, before turning white and doing nothing...I've left it for hours and nothing has happened. I can revert to my old xorg.conf which doesn't use the nvidia drivers and restart ok, or I can reboot into failsafe mode, reinstall the nvidia drivers and then init 5...everything works. As soon as I reboot however, it all goes wonky again.

Any ideas?

jetupset
30th May 2005, 12:41
Let us know the changes you made and what you expected each change to make. From what you say it seems like the changes you are putting into your xorg.conf file does not work, so I would need to have a look at your xorg.conf to have a chance of figuring out what's going on. No need for the whole file though - just the lines you have changed.

FunkyMunky
1st Jun 2005, 14:19
Hi again

Sorry for my late reply;

I think I've narrowed down the problem to the libaries used by amule, wxGTK and the like. I reformatted and reinstalled mandriva, and the system was working fine...as soon as I installed amule and its pre-requisites, the problem would manifest itself on the subsequent reboot. I've got TwinView working now with the same xorg.conf so I think I'll live without amule for the moment and concentrate on getting my system back the way it was.

Thanks anyways :ok: