PDA

View Full Version : N reg planes in the uk and JAR licences

spitfire747
27th May 2005, 20:01
need an answer to a question not sure where to post it

I have a JAR CPL/IR with valid SEP/MEP and IR and have access to a N reg Cessna 182 at my airport. I have been told by my CFI that the N reg can be flown by any JAR Licence holder as flying a American Reg aircraft in the UK with a UK licence satisfys two of the three requirements.

I would like to know if it is possible to fly this aircraft under the conditions described above

if so can if fly it IFR in this country on my JAR licence.

if not what do i need to do to be able to fly this VFR or IFR in Uk airspace on my JAR licence

Thanks, Spit

2Donkeys
27th May 2005, 20:47
There is no problem with you exercising the full privileges of your JAR licence in the N-reg, so long as you remain in UK airspace. This even goes for the IFR privileges associated with you IR.

Once outside the UK, you will require an FAA licence in order to be able to operate the aircraft. This is because the FAA will accept either an FAA ticket, or one *issued by* the country in which you are flying. JAR licences are taken to be issued by the country in which they are...erm... issued and are not valid across JAR land for the purposes of the FAA rules.

The FAA remains the ultimate authority on who may operate an N-registered aircraft.

The oft-quoted but non-existent "two out of three rule" is rubbish and should immediately be ignored. Even as a guideline, it is wrong as often as it is right and does not correspond to any actual legislation.

2D

spitfire747
27th May 2005, 22:46
thanks for the answer, any ideas where this is written down, is it in the FAR AIMS.. ?

So am i right in saying flying IFR to Alderney from the UK is not ok, but could go VFR before leaving UK airspace and use my FAA PPL to get into alderney on a VFR flight, ??

Thanks

2Donkeys
28th May 2005, 05:29
The FAR which tells you who can fly an N-reg is 61.3(a)

(a) A person may not act as pilot in command or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry, unless that person—

(1) Has a valid pilot certificate or special purpose pilot authorization issued under this part in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization. However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a current pilot license issued by the country in which the aircraft is operated may be used

The channel islands are slightly awkward because they are within the BREST FIR. As you say, this suggests that your FAA ticket would be necessary for flight once outside the UK FIR. If this has lower privilege levels than your JAR licence, then you'd need to stick to those lower levels.

2D

Charlie Zulu
14th Jun 2005, 17:12
Hi Spitty,

Or take me along with you and we'll swap P1 over to me (pre-determined before we depart) once we get to the FIR border.

I'll then use my FAA CPL/IR to get us into Alderney/Jersey/France/Ireland/Germany/Spain/Anywhere else in the world without having to go VFR...

:-)

Well its worth a try!!!

So then he has let you use his plane? I was hinting for a couple of months last year but eventually gave up... how did you manage to coax him to letting you use his aeroplane?

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.