PDA

View Full Version : Help - I've screwed it up.... again!!

Scottie Dog
27th May 2005, 17:43
The history:

I run W98 and have 2 harddrives - C/D. Drive E is the CD Rom

I ran out of space on C and thought I would be clever and try to move some items from C to D - as you do (sorry, as I shouldn't). Anyway the amongst the items I tried to move was the printer (did a straight copy and paste from C:\Windows\Program). Yes, you've guessed, the printer is now well and truely off line.

:{ :{ :{ :{

I have tried to remove the program the proper way, so that I can reload it, but keep hitting 'win' errors . I have tried to reload the printer (Epson Stylus Photo RX425) from the original disk, but it keeps coming up with errors - normally refering to WINDOW\TEMP files that it says it can not remove. It also has a problem finding the original application.

I have also tried to reload Windows 98 but get a ScanDisk error. Have run scandisk from MSDOS and no errors found, but W98 still refuses to load past the scan point.

A collegue at work has suggested I remove all .TMP and .CHK files - still no luck.

I can not access the E: from from MSDOS (drive not recognised) - where I believe if I could get the to the Windows disk via MSDOS I should be able to disable the disk checks and therefore possibly get further in reinstalling W98.

There you have it. I have been a complete idiot and now cry 'help'. As you will have gathered I am still computer illiterate - or I would not have done what I did. Anyone with suggestions? Anyone in south Manchester like a few beers in return for practicle assistance!!

Scottie Dog.

spannersatcx
27th May 2005, 19:51
You need a boot disk with the correct cd rom driver on (mscdex I think) anyway boot disks can be found here bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com/)

Scottie Dog
27th May 2005, 21:21
Thanks for the suggestion - only problem is that as I said I am computer illiterate!

I have downloaded from the web the boot disk you suggested - with mscdex on it - but what do I do then? If I run A:mscdex.exe it comes up with a further request that goes beyond me.

Should I just cut my losses and take the pc to a local dealer - but probably have to pay through the nose for my errors?

Thanks again for the help.

ps - will start again with a fresher brain in the morning!

All Ahead Full
31st May 2005, 13:02
http://bootdisk.com - you can download a boot disk with CD rom drivers to get you going....

F4Fan
2nd Jun 2005, 12:09
Hi

did you mention Scandisk and MSDOS...what system you got ??

Thought these had all dissapeared.....ahhhhh good old DOS