PDA

View Full Version : Schapelle Corby??

DirectAnywhere
26th May 2005, 21:26
(WARNING: this is a rant with very little aviation connection apart from the at best tenuous link to someone we'll call "Bruce", a QANTAS baggage handler in Brisbane).

Is it just me or is everyone else completely perplexed by the amount of media coverage this woman's trial has been getting?

I don't remember this much media coverage for a drugs trial since Barlow and Chambers, the two Australians hanged in Malaysia in the '80s for heroin smuggling.

Both Channel 9 & 7 - never the best indicators I know - are running live uninterrupted coverage from midday. The last time they did that was the September 11 attacks. Even the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan weren't considered as newsworthy as the fate of this one woman.

As some sort of idea as to how newsworthy the rest of the world considers Corby's plight - and to try and work out how to spell her first name! - I Googled Corby. Apart from the most recent news link which appears automatically at the top of the page, "Corby Borough Council", "Stephanie Corby - Jazz Singer" and "Corby Electric Trouser Presses for the Home and Hotels" all rate higher. The first reference to Schapelle is actually half way down page 2.

Even the Indonesian judge says he's bemused by all the media coverage.

John Howard, ever the media savvy politician, realises the impact this trial has had in Australia and is trying to get a one off prisoner transfer should she be found guilty. I believe this is a travesty when you consider the fate of other Australians left to rot in jails around the world.

Derryn Hinch was howled down last week when he dared to say all this attention was because she was an attractive woman with big t^&ts (his words not mine).

Have we become so shallow that the millions of children dying in Africa as a result of war, famine, HIV, Cholera, Typhoid, Malaria and so on barely raise an eyebrow while the fate of an Australian hairdresser stops the nation?

If so, it's a sad indictment on the state of this country.

Or, have I got it all wrong? Is she an innocent Australian caught in a tangled web of lies and deceit who deserves all the support the Australian Government and Australian media can provide? Is she really the quintessential "Little Aussie Battler"? Let me know what you think.

Captain Sand Dune
26th May 2005, 22:24
Let me know what you think.

OK then.................

Schapelle Corby was set up by Australians in Australia (Bruce the baggage handler is my guess).
Don't go off at the Indons for merely applying their legal system.
And if she wasn't "good looking with tig bits" - no, the case probably wouldn't get the media attention it's getting now.
The same media attention tha's probably doing her case more harm than good anyway - but if it keeps the ratings up, that's good - isn't it?

lowerlobe
26th May 2005, 22:48
the vast media attention is because it would appear that an innocent woman is about to be either given a death sentence or life in an Indonesian prison.
Personally ,I would prefer death to a lifetime in one of their jails.

With most countries when there is a certain level of reasonable doubt there would be an aquittal but not in this case.

With Barlow and Chambers there was no doubt apparently but with Corby there is more than sufficient doubt as to how the drugs were there or why!

Chimbu chuckles
27th May 2005, 01:03
And then there is the other 9 Ossies who were recently caught dead to right with 4 kg of heroin, each, straped to their bodies...9 firing squads for sure.

How stupid can you be?

As far Corby...given the recent baggage handler revelations there is grounds for acquital.

French 'security' recently lost some semtex in 'pax' baggage during an excercise:ugh: How much easier for someone smuggling drugs from A-B domestically to simply lose track of the bag and for that bag to end up on an International flight.

Why would anyone smuggle dope to a place where it grows wild?

The Messiah
27th May 2005, 01:11
Grounds for an aquittal.......bollocks.

She was caught with it in her posession. The Indo's are under no compulsion to prove how it got there, only that it was there.

Do I think she is not guilty? Probably.

reynoldsno1
27th May 2005, 04:13
Why would anyone smuggle dope to a place where it grows wild?

Apparently the defence of 'coals to newcastle' has been found deficient. There is a market for hydroponic Ozzy weed in Indonesia - it is stronger, and ockers there on hols would prefer to buy off another ocker as they don't know if the local seller is undercover ....

Nevertheless, I find it hard to believe that someone would stuff 4.5kg (that's a lot of leaf) into a board bag........

prospector
27th May 2005, 04:45
Perhaps that is the reason, if caught nobody would believe anybody could be that stupid.

Prospector

ace4bar's girlfriend
27th May 2005, 04:57
Just heard she got 20 years.

Bet the Bali 9 are worried now.....................:ooh:

tinpis
27th May 2005, 05:19
Johny is sending two eminent QC's to harden defence team in the appeal .
Bloody awful the whole thing.

No fault but leaves a bad taste for Bali.
I wonder if it ever would have recovered from the Sari club ?

Onewordanswer
27th May 2005, 06:16
Schapelle Corby was set up by
herself:}

lowerlobe
27th May 2005, 08:08
Apart from the reasonable doubt with what could very well be an innocent woman,there is the very real concern that flying to Indonesia as a crew member the same could happen to us!

Woomera
27th May 2005, 08:17
I think we'll just let the dust settle on this subject for a while.

The last post is just tripe.

The only sage advice I have seen around here so far is from our esteemed tinny.

Many years of doing business in Indon all tin can say is know where youre staying and know the people youre dealing with.