PDA

View Full Version : What is the best commercial aviation magazine ???

mr Q
26th May 2005, 09:35
Any suggestions on the most interesting and informative general magazine on commercial aviation ?? I used to subscribe to Flight International but I found a lot of the sections to be quite technical or unrelated to commercial aviation, eg. the aerospace and defence sections so I unsubscribed. Now I depend on the local newsstands (and pay newsstand Hong Kong prices which are outrageous!! )The most popular ones seem to be Airliner World, Air International and Airways. I find Airways is the best of a fairly average bunch but have not committed to a subscription. Any Suggestions ???

dontdoit
26th May 2005, 14:49
You're reading it! I am also a former Flight International subscriber, but realise now that it's not actually very good. You only have to listen to their resident "expert" who pops up on TV at every available opportunity to realise that if it's the opinions of washed-up ex-miliitary has beens you're looking for, FI is the mag for you. Anything else, I'd stick to PPRuNe (and it's free).

Any other "useful" information it contains (airline directories, simulator census info, job vacancies, who owns which satellite) can all be accessed through Google or any other search engine (oh, and that's free as well).

The Greaser
26th May 2005, 15:08
Agree about Flight International - it would certainly fit the bill to the question 'what is the worst commercial aviation magazine' - absolutely trash. Still read it every week, only the last 5 pages though!

Oshkosh George
26th May 2005, 16:27
You may like to try this online one(free to view,unless sent to your mailbox)--

http://www.commercialaviationtoday.com/

Kestrel_909
26th May 2005, 17:07
Airliner World anyone?

I just look at the pictures:P

southender
31st May 2005, 12:33
"Propliner", for commercial aviation as it used to be!

Cheers

Southender

spitfires rule
1st Jun 2005, 21:08
I have to say AirLiner world for sure!:ok: I like it. It has the best pics and good articles

Hotel Mode
1st Jun 2005, 21:23
Depends what your after. Airliner and the other US based one who's name escapes me right now both concentrate on articles about airlines/airports/commercial flying that are generally very good, what they dont have is current news, and do tend to be biased towards the States. Airliner world is UK based and has an excellent news section and the articles tend to be current, and although european biased do imho have a better worldwide coverage. I always buy them all tho!

reynoldsno1
1st Jun 2005, 21:42
Business & Commercial Aviation (US magazine) is excellent, and has some very thought provoking articles in almost every issue....

ORAC
2nd Jun 2005, 07:47
AW&ST is good.

No_Speed_Restriction
2nd Jun 2005, 08:12
Flight International-The only magazine read from the back pages first

McAero
2nd Jun 2005, 12:33
Was gutting my room of the past 4 years university notes etc the other day and found a mint condition first edition of Airliner World. Worth anything?.......I can hope can't I :}

flybywire
3rd Jun 2005, 15:38
I usually buy Airliner World and steal Flight International from my skippers!!!! :E :E

Kalium Chloride
5th Jun 2005, 08:59
Sounds to me like some of you don't understand the concept of a target audience. In defence of Flight International, it's not a commercial aviation title - it tries to cover everything from space to defence to GA. It also does it weekly, while the other publications mentioned are monthlies.

FI still manages to come up with some huge exclusives (look at the NWA 787 deal, which FI had before any other news service - not bad for a weekly magazine in the age of the internet). By the way FI does have a separate dedicated commercial aviation news service but it's not available at the sort of price reggie-spotters would be willing to pay.

If you can't be bothered to pick up the right publication for your needs, then it's your fault, not the publisher's. FI is a business publication, not a spotters' guide. If you just want pretty pictures and historical information and regurgitated press-releases then there's plenty of enthusiasts' magazines out there. It's a free world.

Fantome
5th Jun 2005, 09:56
. . . and narrow the gate, for unless you can afford to sample the lot, there is no other way to learn what periodicals cover what, and how proficiently, than going to a major reference library and setting yourself the task of reviewing all holdings.

'Flight International' and 'Business and Commercial Aviation' have on their staffs writers of the highest calibre. Sit down with a six month's or a year's
recent issues and take notes on the subjects relevant to your interests. At the completion of that exercise you'll have gained an appreciation not otherwise possible. (The letters pages of both, incidentally, reveal the erudition and skills of their correspondents.)

But don't overdo it. Heed the words of Milton, (or you will go blind) :

"Who reads incessantly, and to his reading brings not a spirit and
judgement equal or superior, uncertain and unsettled still remains,
deep-versed in books and shallow in himself."