PDA

View Full Version : RAF future.

ukmike
26th May 2005, 09:18
I`m looking for any genuine advice about the future of the RAF, helicopter pilots in particularly. I`m holding for Shawbury at the moment after 2 years in the Air Force and whilst it will be a genuine wrench to leave, I`m not sure that the way the RAF is developing (under manned/funded etc) will create a pleasant working environment in the very near future. The rapid turnover of deployments in the Support Helicopter world is not what I mean by the above statement - deployments are part of the role and I accept that, I'm referring more to the loss of camaraderie and the apparent belief by some at the top that the RAF can function on technology without manpower to the 'nth' degree.

Admirably, the predominant attitude from most I`ve met is 'to succeed in spite of the hurdles put in front of us'. However the 'can do' attitude can only stretch so far and I think it is about to snap - morale is certainly pretty low amongst junior ranks and junior officers on the base that I`m holding at.

Anyway, I know that the airlines are beginning to recruit again - what do you think? The pros and cons of airline flying would help!

Tourist
26th May 2005, 09:23
You would be mad to leave Mil aviation before you give it a try. That even applies, though it pains me to say it, to the RAF!:ok:

flyingbird
26th May 2005, 09:45
I say stick with it. Despite the drawbacks I think the advantages of military aviation make it worth it.
At least hold on and see what you make of Shawbury!
I am holding too and whilst it is easy to get disillusioned during these long holds, I feel it will be worth it by the time we are on Squadrons.
:)

Raffles01
26th May 2005, 10:54
Out of interest guys (OASC in 2 weeks), what does holding consist of? Is it endlessly honing flying skills or do you get given more mundane desk jobs with little or no flying?

teeteringhead
26th May 2005, 11:04
endlessly honing flying skills Nope....

that's what the rest of your flying career is all about.....;)

Pecs
26th May 2005, 11:09
I'm afraid its usually the later, mate. However, you can get a really gucci hold if you phone around; there are some pretty awesome holding jobs out there.

At the end of IOT you won't be allowed to contact your desk officer at Innsworth (who is in charge of your holding posts) so you are more than likely to get dealt out a 'bottom o' the barrell' admin-type job.

flyingbird
26th May 2005, 11:25
Yeah I had a rubbish hold after IOT where I answered the phone all day. However, if you manage to hold on a flying Squadron (like I am now) the guys are really good and tend to take you flying as much as they can.
They usually know what it is like to hold for a long time.
Also holding is a good opportunity to go on AT courses and try and see some of the world which is difficult to do whilst on a course.

Raffles01
26th May 2005, 11:30
Probably getting ahead of myself here but as DE entrants do EFT after IOT what happens in this instance? I'm assuming there are lengthy holds at Valley, Shawbury and Cranwell. Do you contact the officer during IOT, EFT or after EFT or is your holding slot already assigned for you? (Definately getting ahead.......)

Thanks for the info. (Oh yes, I'm not siy247 in disgyze!)

flyingbird
26th May 2005, 11:36
I did EFT after IOT. I held for two months in between those 2 courses and now I am holding for a year waiting for my next course.
On my EFT we were able to fax Innsworth a list of preferences for our holds. I got my third choice which I was happy about. However i believe if you end up somewhere rubbish for a long time there are opportunities to phone around and try and get yourself somewhere better providing Innsworth are happy.;)

Colonel W E Kurtz
26th May 2005, 14:14
Get out now. Don't waste any more of the prime of your life. You will be holding again after strawberry. :ouch:

vecvechookattack
26th May 2005, 14:23
My hold was 6 months in Bermuda where I learnt to water ski, wind surf and also got some piper flying....The holding Officer forgot about me as I was only supposed to be there for 2 months. After 2 months I rang him up to ask when my course started and he said "Yesterday - You missed it" ! ....so I joiined the next one.....shame I had to come home really...Don't you just love the Royal Navy ?

theboywide
26th May 2005, 23:43
Keep at it buddy - you can do airline flying later on but nowhere else can you do the kind of flying that helicopters or for that matter just about any aircraft can offer in the RAF

Need for Speed!
27th May 2005, 00:38
Check out this thread...

Best/Worst Holds (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176261)

Happy Holding!

NFS

16 blades
27th May 2005, 00:47
You'd be mad to leave before you at least got a QSP(H) (end of OCU I think) to help you on the way to civvy licence, if that's what you want.

16B

Pontius Navigator
27th May 2005, 07:25
Depending on when and where you go on your hold, and your branch for they all hold to some extent, remember you are not as well qualified as an LAC out of training. They have been trained for the job and you, on your hold, haven't.

This means if you are on a station ops desk that you are junior to the SAC there The SAC can work unsupervised and you, for a time, cannot. Takes the shine off your commission real quick. I have known one would be FC PVR after the hold. Mind you he became convinced that FC wasn't for him having watched and listened for 3 months.

APO Dried Plum
27th May 2005, 09:06
I agree.

AAC officer straight out of Sandhurst.
Holding post = Platoon commander Northern Ireland/Basra.

RAF officer straight out of Cranwell.
Holding post = LAC Blogg's brew b!tch in Stn Ops.

Perhaps because its only INITIAL Officer Training.

Leaving myself well open to anti RAF banter but it shows a point.

Plum