PDA

View Full Version : ANR headset conversion kit.

Ideeal
25th May 2005, 10:16
Hi all.

I'm looking at upgrading my headset to an ANR type and I've found a conversion kit which you can install into your normal headset. It's a cheaper option and look's pretty good.

Installing the kit is a little involved, with drilling and soldering, but shouldn't be a problem.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this option?
Would appreciate any comments.

Cheers
Ideeal

Pretzal
25th May 2005, 12:46
I converted my headset (DC 13.4) about 4 years ago and havent looked back. I've also managed to convert at least 6 other people too! I bought a Headsets Inc brand one. Took about 2 hours to put together - but now they have made it a little simpler in that you don't have to drill through your headset anymore which makes for a neater finish. They have also included an auto cut-off battery box which would have saved me a bit of money had it been an option when I bought it :{
It takes 9v batteries ( I dont use rechargeable ones) and they last me about a month - provided I dont leave the batteries on accidently.

Overall its been a fantastic purchase. Best money Ive spent on a non-essential aviation product! Saves your hearing too. Unfortunately I dont have any comparison to other brands as I've never tried them. If you are thinking of the Headsets Inc one then make sure you get the battery box with auto-cut off and battery indicator light and also get the cord replacement that includes the jacks and battery box combined in one cord.

Good Luck - you cant go wrong with the one I bought (I reckon they should put me on the payroll with the number of them that Ive sold!:E )

spindoctor
26th May 2005, 05:09
I put the headsets inc product into my DC 10.60's and had no problem fitting the kit (about three years ago now).

I was chomping through the batteries pretty quickly and they are not cheap so I purchased a small battery box from "dick Smiths" one that had a place to put the 9 volt battery in one end and some rechargeables in the other (from a cheap crappy radio controlled car) Put a switch on one end to select the battery source, Fitted RCA type plugs on all the leads and away you go. The rechargeable would last about 30 hours in use and when they run out you just flick over to the other battery and charge it up when you get home.

I am sure that you could do all sorts of cleaver things to enhance it but it is simple. The slightly larger battery box is not a problem (Velcro it to something).

The investment is worth it as I was flying 2 very noisy aircraft and it was having a noticeable long term effect on my hearing, now I am just going deaf slower
:D

The only problem is that when the peolple you fly with find out how good they are you have to watch the B@@#$%ds don't flog them.:hmm:

Pedota
26th May 2005, 06:12
Pretzal/Spindoctor

This sounds interesting, but I've never seen or heard of the ANR system (or whatever). Can you please post a simple overview of what it is all about and where I can get more information? My headset is about 15 years old - I suppose I will have to buy a new one to fit the ANR system?

Many thanks

Pedota

Puchatek
26th May 2005, 10:26
The people I know that have converted their headset with the ANR kits are very happy with the result, some even claiming that they are easily as good as the ANR David Clark's and so on. The only problem with this kind of kit is that it will void your warranty so if you are thinking of buying a brand new passive headset and fitting it with the kit then be prepared to fork out the money should you subsequently have a problem with the headset that would have otherwise been covered by warranty. Obviously not an issue if your headset is out of warranty anyway. The most popular (only?) company that supplies this kind of kit is Headsets Inc as previously mentioned, check their website to see what kind of kit you will need for your particular headset.
http://www.headsetsinc.com/

Cheers.

VMC4ME
27th May 2005, 04:41
I converted my DC's as well but am not 100% happy with them now. Sure they work great, but when you do the conversion you are actually removing some of the foam padding to fit in the noise cancelling gear (mic and extra speaker). As a result when you battery does go flat you end up with an absolutely useless set of earmuffs that are almost noisier than not having any at all.

Granted that the music does sound betterwhen flying, however I think now that I've upgraded my DC's I think they are hardly any better than my Altronics....

That's my 2.2 cents worth (inclusive of GST)